Friday, 20 September 2013

Cock Sure

For our last day with the Victorian Romantic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2012), we have another Court card: the Page of Wands.

Though this is an archetype I'm generally fond of, I can't say I'm too keen on this guy.  Not that he isn't enough like my idea of the Page of Wands, simply that he brings to my mind all the less lovable characteristics of this fellow.

He stands there in extremely gaudy clothes: purple boots, pink leggings, a green blouson, and a yellow and purple pleated shirt, with a crown of yellow flowers and a golden, angel-topped wand.  He has a hand on his hip, a swagger to his stance, and looks like he's talking back to someone.  Another child peers round at him from the background, open-mouthed.  Perhaps shocked by this Page's daring...

To me, he seems like a cheeky little upstart, full of himself and of the foolish bravery of youth and inexperience.  Though I like enthusiasm and a willingness to experiment, and value having faith in yourself, he seems to take these to extremes.  Annoying and bratty are words that spring to mind ;)

Given the nature of projection, I guess these are characteristics I can show which I am less than proud of.  I shall take this card, then, as a warning to remember humility and compassion today.  Given I need to go and deal with  government bureaucrats today, I would do well to be patient, calm and not argumentative.

I am grateful for confidence and the reminder of its limitations.

8 comments:

  1. Haha, I like what you took from today's card. I can sometimes display those characteristics too.

    I was never fond of this Page either. He looks far brighter than I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we can own these 'shadow' traits ;)

      As for him looking brighter, do you mean in terms of colours? I keep promising myself to sit down and do a visual comparison of the old and new versions, but haven't found the time yet...

      Delete
    2. Yes. To be honest, I probably haven't looked at either of my VR's for about five years or more, so my memory might be wrong. The colours on his clothing look very bright. As you say, gaudy. It doesn't have the antique look I remember.

      Delete
    3. If you dig them out, let me know :) I've just finished up the third of my posts for tomorrow's blog hop, so now I finally have some head space for my UK Tarot Conference talk. So, comparing the editions of this deck has gone down on my priority list again...

      Delete
  2. It is funny how the depiction can change the meaning of the card. That can be a very valid reason to collect lots of decks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is definitely one of my excuses/justifications for my ridiculous/delightful tarot deck collection :D

      Delete
    2. It's one of the reasons I use all of my decks. I'm still a newbie and remember people advising that new people use just one deck for readings for themselves, but every deck has a different voice. Sometimes I want straight forward/no nonsense and sometimes I want something a little more gentle when I'm feeling vulnerable. Sometimes I just want something fun.

      Delete
    3. I think there are different ways to learn, and it depends on how you learn best. By six weeks into my tarot journey, I had five decks, all of which I loved and used, and all of which are still amongst my favourites. Some people learn better sticking with one thing until they're confident, others need different voices to stay engaged. There's no right or wrong, just what works for you :)

      Delete