Thursday, 19 September 2013

Nostalgia

On this Thursday, the Victorian Romantic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2012) offers us a sweet version of the Six of Cups.

A young girl and boy sit at a table, toasting each other.  Across from them are a man and a woman, with other people in formal wear in the background, suggesting a party. 

Despite there being more than six cups on the table, I really like this card ;)  There are so many ways to read it, though the image is simple.  Yet, are the adults the parents of one or both children?  Will the children remember this party when they are grown?  Will they still be friends, or married, or meet again for the first time in years and find they no longer have anything in common?  Are they siblings who will reminisce about the party, or have totally different memories of that day?

For me, this is often a card of nostalgia, of reminders of the past, of who we were or what we believed in and dreamed of.  This card can be a warning not to live in the past, but more often I see here a suggestion to use the past to help plan for the future. 

For myself, I see a message here to work for my dreams, no matter if they seem silly or childish.  A message, too, that I shouldn't just forget people from my past.  If Facebook is good for nothing else, it can at least keep us in touch with friends and family from afar.

I am grateful for the encouragement to do some long overdue reconnecting.

8 comments:

  1. The Victorian Romantic is a nice deck, I have one of the original Gold editions. Although I am intrigued by your card, as my deck gives me a totally different image for the 6 cups. I have two children that stand on a balcony looking out on snow covered roofs. I wonder if they changed the image in later decks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,

      Yes, quite a few of the images have been changed, I think I read that around 20 were completely overhauled. And a fair few of those have come up this week - the Three of Cups and Five of Cups were both changed, too. It may have been so that people didn't object to the new edition, given the prices the original was selling for by that point... :)

      Delete
  2. Ah I see. What's an original deck like mine worth now then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, on Amazon they sell for over £160: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-Romantic-Tarot-Kit-Engravings/dp/1905572026/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379959706&sr=8-1&keywords=victorian+romantic+tarot

      Delete
  3. I too tend to read the six of cups as a reminder of the positive energies from the past. How often do you read/hear that you should remember what you dreamed of as a child, when you were limitless, to know what your purpose is in life today ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a book I love, called Finding Flow, which talks about that, too. He argues that leading a satisfying life is about doing things that delight and challenge us, and often the seeds of that are to be found in the things we enjoyed as children. Though he does also say we have to keep things fresh, keep doing new things so that the element of challenge remains. But they can be new variants on those childhood loves ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is the SIX of cups. I thought it was three!!! I also appreciate Facebook for the ease of connecting with long-time pals!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you seem very good at keeping up with people on Facebook. I'll admit, I sometimes struggle. And I know I don't catch up with family enough, either...

      Delete