Thursday, 5 September 2013

Saccharine

Yeesh, today's card from the Animism Tarot (GameCrafter, 2013) is so sweet I almost feel a little ill!

Two swans arch their necks together to touch beaks, forming a heart-silhouette between them.  They are highlighted by  the bright golden ball of the sun, ringed by rainbow colours, and with purple petals floating in the air and water around them.  In front of this happy couple,three little grey cygnets paddle about enthusiastically.

Perhaps I'm just a cynic, but I always feel if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.  Not that I reject happiness, a sense of belonging, and loving relationships.  Rather, I think a lot of work goes into these things, like the swan who seems to glide effortlessly across the water, but is paddling hard under the surface.  There are moments of bliss, of simple joy, bought at the cost of time and energy and a willingness to invest in making something work.

So, though this card may say to enjoy the moment and appreciate those around you, it also says not to take such things for granted.  To seek that joy, to express your love, to be willing to spend time to build something beautiful and lasting.

This card reminds me today to take some time to just be with my Dear One, to tell him how much I love him and name some of the things I appreciate about him.  And to do the same with Big Boy, too :)

I am grateful for the loving relationships in my life.

6 comments:

  1. Ten of Cups cards make me puke. ha ha ha ha

    I always think, yeah, there's a divorce waiting to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ('Cause if they think things are always going to be this perfect, they are going to be really pissed off when they realize perfection is not possible.)

      Delete
  2. You're right...I guess everything is fleeting! Both the happiness and the sad times. It reminds me of a fable I read. I'm too tired to relay it all but basically the lesson is to see things more in shades of gray. We don't know what might end up being a positive turn of events, and what seemingly positive event may have unforeseen consequences. Kind of an interesting way to look at it. Oh wait, here's the story--I am pasting it from a site:

    Maybe

    Once upon the time there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically.

    “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

    The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed.

    “Maybe,” replied the old man.

    The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.

    “Maybe,” answered the farmer.

    The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.

    “Maybe,” said the farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--well I guess the other lesson is to be open to possibility. Not to make assumptions about whether something is good or bad. Maybe I said that already. I don't know because I am tired...hehee.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that - be open to the possibilities :) Yes, it's far too easy to fall into judging. However, for me the lesson is also about building something and taking time on it, as well as enjoying the fleetingness of life :)

      Delete