Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Tuckered Out

Today's card from the World Spirit Tarot (Llewellyn, 2001) is an interesting mix of traditional Four of Swords ideas, combined with a bit of Five of Pentacles.

A woman in a green dress sleeps on a hard stone floor, a sword underneath her.  In this, it feels like the traditional RWS Four of Swords with a knight sleeping in a church.  However, there is a crutch to one side of her, and a stained glass window above her.  Though the stained glass shows three more swords, those two elements together are reminiscent of the Five of Pentacles for me.

Altogether, this gives a sense of resting up after a battle, rather than before one, and has a feel of weariness and injury to it that I don't necessarily normally associate with the Four of Swords (though I know some decks that do show it as a time of healing - Legend, the Arthurian Tarot, for instance).  It gives the sense of needing sanctuary, though perhaps, given the suit, a sanctuary from our own thoughts.  And certainly, sleep can be that respite.

It was for me, that's for sure.  This post is going out more than two hours later than normal, as I had a lie in :)  I needed it after yesterday's busy yet successful time.  I hope I can take things rather easier today overall, as I still feel tired.

I am grateful for an easy day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment