Sunday, 15 September 2013

Well-Chosen Knight?

Today's card from the Victorian Romantic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2012) is somewhat unusual.

At first glance, this Knight of Pentacles shows a Knight in steel armour, nothing strange there.  And the autumnal woodland scene around him seems fairly appropriate for the suit of Pentacles.  Two details, though, surprise me. 

Firstly, there is his broken lance.  I guess this could indicate his willingness to persevere despite setbacks, which suits the Knight of Pentacles well. 

Secondly, there is the maiden kissing the Knight's hand, and the fact that his gaze is rather sad and distant.  This seems rather more like the Knight of Cups than the traditional stalwart Pentacles chap.  Maybe his gaze is distant because he's actually thinking about how to source a new lance or noticing a useful stream a little way into the woods :D

My Dear One certainly has tinges of the Knight of Pentacles to him.  He's been organising window cleaners, carpet cleaners, curtain fitters and various other tradesmen over the course of the week.  So, I see this card as a reminder to show him my appreciation today.  These may not be grand, romantic gestures, but they are his way of showing his caring.

I am grateful for a kind and practical man.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you! My hubster is a Page of Cups. Not a lot of good in a pinch! :) But very good at helping me lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, your comment made me think of that Rolling Stones song about getting what you need, rather than what you want ;) Given how long you've been together, maybe having a practical man isn't really as important as you were brought up to believe...

      Delete
  2. I think it is lovely that you see his caring in all his work. The way you describe his managing all those men is like he fighting a battle for you What could be more romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Ellen. Though it may not be traditionally romantic, his striving on behalf of our family is romantic in its own way :D

      Delete
  3. My husband is also the Knight of Pentacles, and you're a wise wife to show him appreciation. I think it's all they need or want is to please us and have us express that we are pleased. I sometimes forget that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope the reminder served for you, too, then Siddaleah. Appreciation is a powerful thing :)

      Delete