Thursday, 17 October 2013

Alas, Poor Yorick...

Today's card from the Wicca Moon Tarot makes me think of the speech from Hamlet in which he holds the skull of the jester from his father's court, and thinks of how even the mighty return to the earth.

Certainly, there is often more than a trace of that in the Death card: not only the acknowledgement of mortality, and our sadness at the end of people and situations we have known or respect, but also the reminder of the cycles of life and death.  I see that here in the woman gazing at the skull in her hands, with a cauldron to one side and standing in a snowy landscape, yet with green leaves and white flowers beneath her feet.

There is a reminder here to take time to recognise endings and honour them.  Also, though, that life continues, even if in a different form to that we had known.

Yesterday ended up being incredibly hectic, between emails, phonecalls and appointments regarding our impending house move, arrangements for a visit to see family at the weekend, and a big work project that has just taken off.  Still, I managed to make space for some couple-time with my honey, which was much needed (yay for the reminder from the Nine of Cups!)  It's so easy to get caught up in doing, and forget to connect with our nearest and dearest.  Anyhow, after all that craziness, what I see in today's card is the encouragement to think again about what we will be leaving behind when we move, to mourn it so that I can move on.

I am grateful for the reminder that it's okay to be sad, even about an exciting and generally positive change.

4 comments:

  1. Death reminds of cleaning a closet; throwing away the clutter can be hard but O my what an opportunity to restock it with all kind of goodies yet unknown :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice way of looking at it, Ellen. I'm not yet at the decluttering stage, though I have done some packing already... As for goodies, there'll certainly be some more decks in the future :D

      Delete
  2. I do love this deck. So glad you brought it to our attention in your You Tube review. It has become a fast favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read with it that often (partly because of the size of the cards), but it is beautiful and lovely to read with!

      Delete