Monday, 14 October 2013

Did You See What Happened At The UK Tarot Conference 2013?

My TLC workshop - image courtesy of Katrina Wynne
Well, it was an incredibly busy and fun weekend, that's for sure!  I didn't get to go along for the Tour of London on Thursday, just turning up early enough to set up for my workshop on Friday afternoon.  We looked at different ways of combining the Tarot and Lenormand systems, something I've blogged about before.  The feedback I got was good, though a couple of people commented on just how much material there was.  I may well offer this as a half-day workshop in the future, rather than only spending an hour and a half on it!

Lyn Olds - Letters To The Past
Later, Carrie Paris gave a wonderful talk on ways of interacting with art, and the philosophy behind the Four Levels of Understanding, applied to imagery.  She also talked about ways to deepen our practice as readers - all very inspiring stuff, and with beautiful visuals to accompany it.

That was followed by Lyn Olds talking about a project she curated, called Letters To The Past.  She used that as a vehicle to explore the entire history of the tarot, all in 50 minutes.  It was a fascinating approach to history, which really personalised it and brought it to life.

The next day started with another workshop by Carrie Paris.  This time, she had us divining with everyday objects (like, whatever you had in your pockets/handbag!), as well as using her wonderful Magpie Oracle and casting sheets, and of course a few Lenormand decks...

The fabulous Carrie Parris, different ways of divining, and me with Carrie :)
Next up was Caitlín Matthews with a talk that described cartomantic techniques of working with the tarot - she certainly knows what she's talking about.  It was fun to try out some of these, and I'm glad she had a detailed worksheet, as they're fascinating, if sometimes complex.

Over lunchtime, Alison Cross gave an excellent talk on the Tarot Courts.  As they say, there's always something new to learn, even when you've been studying something for years.  Alison certainly came up trumps on that - everyone left the workshop feeling they'd heard something new :)  My favourite bit was when she suggested thinking about how the Courts would all react at a party.  One example she gave was of all the Pages outside in the garden, wanting to play in a treehouse.  She's one funny woman, Alison, as well as a great educator!

Lyn (left), Caitlín (top right), my drawings (bottom right)
After that, I skipped Ina's workshop to grab some food (the downside of lunchtime workshops), so I can't comment on that part.

Then, it was on with the fun with another workshop from Lyn Olds.  This time, she suggested a technique to approach the cards differently.  You draw three cards from a deck, and then sketch out the elements that jump out at you to create a new card.  You then use that "card" to answer your question.  For me, it worked better when I was reading for myself or else didn't know the question, as otherwise I worried too much about getting it right or being helpful and not putting in anything bad for the other person.  Once again, you can see from my sketches why I approached Will Worthington, rather than trying to paint the Celtic Lenormand myself!

Brucie, ah, I mean Ciro...
Next up, we had a wonderful, animated talk from Ciro Marchetti.  He discussed how he was first induced to create a tarot deck (the tarot community's thanks should go to Barbara Moore), what kind of research he did to come up with his images (more than you'd think from his self-deprecating comments about not being able to read tarot), the effect that art has on its audience (hilarious bits there), responses he's had to his decks, his personal visual preferences, and much more.  It was a funny, fascinating talk, including some comic moments, several videos, lots of images, and the bizarre realisation that he looks and talks like Bruce Forsyth.  I'd never noticed that before, despite meeting Ciro several times, but when he was up in front of everyone, I just couldn't stop making the comparison ;)  I asked a couple of others, who all agreed.  Anyway, Brucie aside, it was a great talk!

Kim, and the Tarot Masters book
Finally, Kim Arnold, the fabulous organiser of the whole shebang, led us through a marvellous meditation - very insightful, and a great way to end the Conference.

Anyhow, as if all that wasn't enough, Kim also announced a book launch: Tarot Masters (Hay House, 2014 - yes, 2014!).  It's a project she put together, originally to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the UK Tarot Conference.  All but one of the past speakers at the Conference write about what first got them into the Tarot, and the card they love or loathe.  Kim had copies available for sale, though the official launch isn't until next year!  I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been included in the book, which features the likes of Rachel Pollack, Mary Greer, Paul Hughes-Barlow, Mark McElroy and a host of others!  Anyhow, I'll remind you all when it finally launches officially ;)

And so the Conference ended, and we all headed back to our regular lives.  Here's a last picture of all of us who spoke at this conference.
Caitlín, Carrie, Ina, Me, Lyn, Alison, Ciro, Kim

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for this view of the UK tarot Conference

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great overview of a wonderful conference Chloe, so thank you. Very much ejoyed your contribution and I think you're right in perhaps doing a half day workshop as you covered a helluva lot but more time would have been good.

    Cathi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the workshop, Cathi, and the rest of the conference. It was a lot of fun for me, too - I love teaching. It's always a learning experience, and great to see how people pick things up and run with them :) And yes, I'll definitely think about doing a longer workshop on it!
      Chloë xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely way to get a little peek at this conference. And I think you totally deserve to be in that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Ellen. I always love reading about these things, though it does mean that I'm dying to get to Readers Studio in New York (for example). So tempting... As for the book, I shall try to live up to it, and do plenty more in this field :)

      Delete
  4. What fun! It looks like everyone had a wonderful time. Great work! :) And look at that beautiful baby bump. ;)

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes, I guess I can't keep it a secret any more ;D It was wonderful fun!

      XOXO,
      C

      Delete
  5. Great photos! Looks like a lot of fun. I am glad that your lecture was a success. I know I always say it, but Kate and I will definitely come to one of your workshops one of these days, when the bank balance allows. Something tells me that there will be many more of them to come :)

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you two do make it some time, it would be so great to meet you both! Otherwise, maybe you'll do a fabulous launch of the tarot you're creating together, and I can come to that :D

      Delete
  6. I'm glad for your success at the Conference! Very interesting post, I suppose that it's a very enriching experience. What a pity I live so far from there! Muchas Estrellas!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can ever get to any tarot conference anywhere, I've loved every single one I've attended. It's so great to meet others with the same interest, and to hear and try out different ideas :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this wonderful post, Chloe. It was a total pleasure meeting you and attending your workshop. You made the transition from tarot to Lenormand a breeze. More, MORE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! It was wonderful finally meeting you in person, too, hope to have the chance again. And as you can probably tell, I loved your workshops!

      Delete
  8. Hey woman! Congrats on the new life. I am going to come to this conference one year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do, Arwen. And maybe one of these years I'll get across for Reader's Studio - definitely on my bucket list! :)

      Delete
  9. Great review, Chloe! Thanks for the nice things you said about my workshop *whispers* your cheque's in the post :-) I'm sorry that I missed your own Masterclass on the Friday, but from what you shared of it with Carla and I on the Saturday, it looks to have been jammed full of excellent content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the review, Alison :) And I meant every word, I'm only sorry I forgot to take a picture of you in full flow *doh*

      Delete