Saturday, 5 October 2013

October Lenormand Overview

Following the example of Carla at Rowan Tarot, I decided to try out the monthly overview system suggested by Malkiel.  Using the beautiful, new Enchanted Lenormand from Caitlín Matthews and Virginia Lee (Watkins, 2013), I wanted to see what the cards had to say about the month of October for me.  So, I laid out a card for each day of the month, and then added in the remaining cards from the deck at places that felt right - not just for the 'negative' cards (as I don't really see them that way), but also for days that felt particularly important or where I just wanted clarification.  I also, as so often, left in the extra cards, hence two ladies appearing (side-by-side, no less).

Some interesting synchronicities came up straight away, as any cartomante would expect :)  The day I'm to give my workshop at the UK Tarot Conference (less than a week now *eek*), I drew the Garden (public events) and the Lady I most associate with - me up there in front of the crowd, get used to the idea, woman!  Also, the Mountain and the other Lady the day before - likely to feel stressed and struggle with last-minute issues/stage-fright ;)

For the following day, when I'll be hanging at the Conference, soaking in all that tarot and lenormand goodness, I drew the Birds - yep, same as Carla ;)  So, plenty of interesting conversations to be had!

As for the day we're supposed to complete on our new home, I drew the Clouds and the Letter - uncertainty around a document.  Well, no real surprise, these things are always rather fraught and unclear in this country :(

Also, on a day when I'm getting some test results, I drew the Sun - yay, good news!  And a day when we've booked a fancy meal with a chef visiting from Paris, the Bear - beware of overeating :D

Overall, looking at it from a more GT perspective, my significator, the Lady, is up in the second line from the top - I'm in control of most of what's going on in my life this month.  Things above me and on my mind: Child, and Coffin, Big Boy's health (always); Clover, Crossing/House, a short trip away from home (not a traditional reading, but it fits with Caitlín's adaptation of the Cross card); Anchor, and Fish, new work projects.

This is an interesting spread, combining the idea of a daily card with that of laying a GT for the month.  I'm sure I shall revisit it as the month progresses...

10 comments:

  1. It looks like a great month ahead. Personally I don't use the cards as fortunetelling (although it might be possible) but I wonder what if you had negative cards on the important places, would it bother you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall I agree, with you, Ellen. I don't often do 'predictive' readings. However, here I do have some 'negative' cards on important places - like the Clouds and Letter when we're supposed to sign an important legal document. I choose to take this as a suggestion to make sure to bring as much clarity as possible to the situation before the fact, and to also not get overwhelmed if there are uncertainties on the day.

      Likewise, the Scythe is on a day when I'm going to be flying. However, if something is going to go wrong then necessitating surgery, there's nothing I can do about it now. Instead, I shall treat it as representing a sudden end to our little trip away, nothing more. As many people have said, when we are talking daily cards, the import doesn't have to be read so seriously. Hope that makes sense :)

      Delete
    2. Yes it does, thanks for explaining your point a view

      Delete
  2. I think if these cards landed in my hand I'd trim them right down to the orb.
    Those surrounds look like gramma's lace doilies on a Eames chair.

    Best wishes at the conference...once you've said a few words you'll hit your stride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, a circular Lenormand, now there's a thought ;) I generally don't use the card inserts, but I know that they are important to how Caitlín reads, so I understand why she put the fancy borders on. And at least they are pretty. Also, they are so ornate that in some ways it makes the contrast with the 'bubbles' starker, and so easier to separate and ignore. That's my take so far, anyway :)

      Delete
  3. Cool spread! You're gonna rock the conference, Chloe - can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to know you're going to be there (I thought you probably would be) :) Thanks for the kind words, and I'll look forward to seeing you there!

      Delete
  4. I like this spread, it's very detailed. I'll try it! Regarding the "not so nice cards" in a reading, in my personal experience, sometimes it came out and it ended up being something happening in the surroundings (or at the same time), not necessarily to me. I love cartomancy, but I think cards are not definite, it changes from day to another (I saw for myself). Good Luck and Muchas Estrellas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Las Magas! We can't be sure how the cards are going to play out, firstly because there are so many possibilities, and secondly because we can also change things. So, I take them as suggestions of what to watch for, but without any rigidity. Que tenga un fin de semana llena de Estrellas! ;)

      Delete