Sunday, 6 October 2013

Subtlety

While the cards in the Badger's Forest Tarot (GameCrafter, 2013) are connected with traditional tarot meanings, sometimes that connection is quite subtle, or more to be created by the reader than jumping out from the card.  At least, that is the way I perceive them.  Before I read the author’s intended links between the suits - Rabbits being Wands etc - I struggled to determine which suit was which simply by looking at them (and I went through the deck a couple of times, though it probably didn’t help that it came from the GameCrafter out of order).  This confusion around the suits is in part because I wouldn’t normally associate Crows (the only bird, and creature of the breezes in the skies and hence to my logic Air) with Pentacles (the suit of Earth and groundedness).  The other part is this subtlety of symbolism, which also leaves the cards open to very different intuitive readings, should you so choose.

Take today’s card, for example.  Here, in the Ten of Rabbits (Wands), we have a rabbit at the front of the card, with a snowy landscape behind in which probably ten dark trees stand.  The number of trees isn’t totally apparent, as there is at least one branch which could simply be a sapling, not yet full grown.  Anyhow, to me this card speaks at a visual level of cold and of hardship, perhaps of having to keep your eyes and ears open for any potential threats or opportunities.  It is only if I think of this rabbit as being part of a family, feeling the weight of needing to find food and shelter for others, that I can come close to the traditional Ten of Wands meaning.  And there isn’t much to suggest this - no hint of a warren with other bunnies in the background, for example.  To me, this card could just as well be the Knight of Swords, on the alert, the Knight of Wands, off exploring despite the inclement weather, or the Five of Pentacles, going through tough times.

Thinking of this card in terms of responsibilities, I see myself and my Dear One coming down from our time at the spa, returning to everyday life.  On a more positive note, I imagine that bunny would be very happy to finally get home to a warm burrow, and I do love my home - not just the building, but what it means in terms of family, connection and stability.

I am grateful for a warm home to return to.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting tarot. This is one that I'd imagine that JJ would like. It looks like a nice one to use on the turn of the seasons, as things get that bit darker. Don't you find that there is something almost more intimate with animal decks, than those showing people? I don't know how to put it, but people can sometimes almost add distance for me, where as animals, like this rabbit, look right inside me and communicate on a different level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, PLN. I can get put off by people, because me assumptions and judgements more readily come to the fore. Whereas animals are different and yet not...

      Delete
  2. I think this deck is a great way to trigger your intuition. I would cuddle that bunny and give him a carrot for he is so hungry :)
    And yes home is where the heart is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so warm-hearted, Ellen :) It's funny, I didn't see the bunny as hungry, but maybe a little lonely and lost... Still, s/he looks quite wise to me :)

      Delete
  3. I love Nakisha's art, but I cannot read with her decks. I traded the Rabbit Tarot because I couldn't make head or tail of it, and I'm sure this deck would be the same. I don't keep decks I don't use. It sure is cute and pretty, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, I've never read with the Rabbit Tarot, but it is lovely. This one is far more readable, in my opinion. I also like the idea of meditating with the cards...

      Delete