Thursday, 24 October 2013

Thorn's Bite

Now here is card that's a perfect example of the subtle depth of symbolism in the Tarot of the Hidden Realm (Llewellyn, 2013).

A woman gazes off to the left, her dark hair flowing down around her shoulders.  In her hands she holds three roses, the thorns of which have bitten into her left hand.  Blood drips down, staining her dusky pink dress, but she seems not to notice it, her gaze locked on something to her left.

Given that the left is often associated with the past, to me this card speaks of pain caused by our interpretation of what has happened, our worries and wishes to redo that which cannot be changed.

It's funny, thinking about things I would like to do over, I'm reminded of a post a while back, by Carla, I think.  She said it's not the big, life-altering things she feels bad about, but the small, everyday situations.  That's what comes up for me here.  I don't regret moving country or leaving a bad relationship, but I do regret the chocolate chip cookie I ate yesterday!  Yet, focusing on even those small regrets doesn't seem helpful - I attack myself for not doing what I feel I should have, rather than focusing on what I can do now. 

I am grateful for the reminder to be in the moment.

6 comments:

  1. This deck becomes more and more attractive. :) The art is fantastic of course, and your pointing out its subtleties adds to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried I wouldn't like it, based on some other blogs using it, but I'm really enjoying it :) It's certainly not in-your-face with its symbolism, but it is there...

      Delete
  2. Yes this card is certainly more in the moment then a bleeding hart :)
    Love the example from the chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there are far too many chocolate chip cookie examples in my life. Ah well... As you say, it's a lovely card :)

      Delete
  3. It is always the little things that get us. I like this card and your words were perfect. I agree she is looking to the past, maybe a little too intently. Perhaps not knowing just yet how to turn and face the other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, that's a description I would normally associate with the Five of Cups, yet it seems to fit here. I guess I see it saying that it's by letting go of the ideas we cut ourselves with that we can start to look forward again...

      Delete