Saturday, 16 November 2013

Devil Woman

This week, following on again from the TABI Halloween decks post, I decided to pull out the first edition of the Bohemian Gothic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2007).  A third edition is now available for pre-order, if you're tempted...

For our first card, we have the deliciously creepy Ten of Wands.  At first glance, it's quite a traditional depiction.  A little old lady carries a heavy-looking bundle as she walks past a stone-walled castle with a high up window shedding a warm light.  Looking closer, though, we notice the old lady's shadow has horns, and she eyes us in a challenging manner. 

One thing I read from this is the idea that sometimes we shoulder burdens spurred on by our own demons.  Another take might be that those burdens change us, mark us, if we don't watch out.  

Just today I was thinking about some tasks which I would gladly take on, but acknowledging that I have too much else on my plate.  I hope this is me backing away from my "be responsible" demon, rather than me letting my "laziness" demon talk me into giving up...

I am grateful for a clear sense of what I can handle.

8 comments:

  1. Honey, I don't think there is a laziness demon any where in site where you are. They are hiding trembling in the corners afraid of the amount work you do daily. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect everyone has a laziness demon, Ellen, and I'm certainly no exception. Yesterday, I should have replied to blog comments, done some work on scheduling for December, and I had a pile of letters to open and file on my desk that had been there for 10 days. Still, I just read a novel instead :)
      However, this morning I'm making up for it!

      Delete
    2. You know the difference between lazy and tired??? :D

      Delete
    3. :D You know, I'm not sure I do!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, what Ellen said. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee :D Nah, I just pretend to be so busy, to hide my inner laziness! Really, though, it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that as most of my work is flexi-time, I can often schedule it as I like. But that also means I have to be a bit more disciplined about it, rather than having a 9-5 structure to fit into :)

      Delete
  3. I had the 2nd edition of this deck and traded it for a second copy of Touchstone Tarot (which I then sold because I didn't think I needed two copies of the Touchstone Tarot ha ha). To me, it is just blue, blue and more blue. I am not a fan of the MRP decks. I wonder if the 3rd edition is less 'blue'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is very blue. Still, in some ways that makes the colours there are stand out even more, a bit like the Silver Era Tarot (http://innerwhisperscouk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Silver%20Era%20Tarot) I guess it makes it better for smaller spreads, or for blogging, rather than larger readings where you want to *see* the suits more obviously...

      Delete