Thursday, 7 November 2013

Drip, Drip, Drip...

There is something both horrific and yet also deeply moving about today’s card from the Deviant Moon Tarot (U.S. Games, 2007).

A rather rotund Queen of Swords stands in a leafless garden, holding two swords.  Blood drips from the tilted blade of one onto the earth beneath, while the other is held upright, and pristine.  Echoing the drop of blood on her sword’s blade is a blue teardrop that rolls down from her mechanical eye.  A small, somewhat grim-faced moon glares down at the Queen.  Her costume is ornate: a red and gold crown and headdress, a matching red outer garment, and a brown skirt and grey blouse.  The Queen of Swords also wears a diaphonous black veil that covers her eyes.

Here, then, there is the suggestion of pain and mourning, of suffering tempered by a willingness to still seek truth and look to the future.  Blood has been shed, yet she isn't happy about it.  Sometimes it is necessary to cut to the quick, but that makes it no less painful.

The main thing this card makes me think of is some phonecalls I need to make to bureaucrats.  My mother always told me: when dealing with a bureacrat, be as clear as possible, and ask nicely for help.  I'll need to cut through some red tape with that sword, but must also remember that it is another human at the end of the phone line.

I am grateful for the reminder to see the person behind the bureaucracy.

12 comments:

  1. I love the Deviant Moon deck and I did when I was co-author of the Blog Tarot Notes write about this queen. I know how you like my colour interpretations so I thought I might share that part of what I wrote here with you now. ^_^

    She wears a dress and headdress that is predominately red and gold. The red, along with the blood, could be a symbol of her life force, her courage and passion. It also represents the willpower that exists. Gold is a solar colour and may well walk hand in hand with the symbolism of red meaning energy and power. Gold by itself suggests illumination. It too, shares the qualities of the colour yellow and represents here the intellect, reason, understanding and awareness. The skirt is a brown colour, very earthy and shows she is concerned with those things in her physical world rather than her spiritual one. She is grounded in the world. She has a collar with a grey ruffle and it spreads down to her chest. This is a colour mid-way between black and white. It may well say to us that she is able to reconcile opposites, restore balance. What she is able to learn from her past she integrates into her future.
    Long live the Queen! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I remembered you posting with this deck a couple of years ago, almost said as much in a comment to Zanna, but then I started doubting my own memory... Thanks for that interpretation, it really adds a lot. Yes, I see the brown showing that she's practical in how she applies her intellect and her will. And I love what you say about grey being able to reconcile opposites, not something I'd ever thought of!

      Delete
  2. Chole it wouldn't let me press the notify me button, it was too quick :( so I won't know if you reply or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, as far as I'm aware, you can click the notify button after you post, too :)

      Delete
  3. You would almost pity her. This queen is so sad. For me this is limiting the interpretations for this card. She should also be able to be happy after making the right yet difficult decisions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, whenever we make a cut, there is sorrow, even if it is also the best thing to do. The sadness of letting go, of having to choose this instead of that - every yes is also a no... :)

      Delete
  4. I will be honest...after using this decks while I had to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, horses for courses, and also a time and a season for everything, perhaps? I wouldn't choose to read for myself with this deck right now, I don't think... :)

      Delete
  5. I really like this Queen, and I don't always love the renditions of the Queen of Swords in various decks. She seems accessible, even lovable in a way. Maybe it's her plumpness, or the colors in her clothing. I like that she is showing emotion, even while holding a bloody sword.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true her clothing is very warm, and I like that we see her emotional side, too :)

      Delete