Sunday, 3 November 2013

Feelings

After the post I wrote as TABI’s contribution to the Samhain Blog Hop, I realised that a couple of the decks I mentioned there were ones that I hadn’t actually featured here on the blog.  So, time to rectify that, and I decided to make a start with the Deviant Moon Tarot (U.S. Games, 2007).  Due to yesterday’s additional post on Lennie Week 12, there will only be 6 days with this deck, which some may be thankful for ;)

We start the week with a beautiful card: the Ace of Cups.  A dark-skinned angel wearing a purple dress with pink and turquoise scarves smiles as she looks into a large, golden chalice.  The cup has sea horses as handles and images of caring moon-faced people on it.  The angel has blue hair, a golden crown, and a mechanical looking eye.  She wears plenty of golden jewellry, and also has red lipstick and nail polish, and a red, moon tattoo on her arm.  The full moon above her seems to be breathing it’s magic down into her cup, purifying and blessing the water within it.

To me, this card speaks of new emotional beginnings, but also promises that there is magic in such feelings.  Even if a new love doesn’t prove to be our soulmate, we will still learn from it, and should not shy away from emotion.  It is through our connecting with others that we find ourselves, that we are able to express ourselves and fully experience life.  There is wisdom in emotion, as shown by the woman’s purple dress, and both a need and a willingness to express it (the blue hair and scarf).  That feeling of connection is at once divine (the moon and the angel), and yet also imperfect and human (the mechanical eye and the simple little sea horses).

It’s interesting to draw this card today.  While I’m not expecting to meet the next love of my life (I’m more than happy with my current one), I do see it marking a change in my emotions.  Finally, the house purchase is behind us, and as I look forward I hope for a slightly less stressful, less busy time ahead.  Of course, there is still a lot to do, but I no longer have tight deadlines pressing on me.  I hope to be able to relax a little, to bathe in the joy of experiencing my emotions, connecting with the baby inside me, spending a little more time with Big Boy and my Dear One.

I am grateful for a day without deadlines.

12 comments:

  1. Noooo! The Deviant Moon! (Cowering with eyes half covered.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like the deck at all. It feels a bit creepy to me. The ace of cups is always a nice card to draw. I miss the overflowing water in this one; the abundant never ending Love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water might not be overflowing, but there's that connection to the Moon, source of the tides, and so a connection to the wide ocean... :)

      Delete
  3. I like the deck and thought Patrick's use of real textural things for the components was brilliant. But I sold the deck after a year or two because it's characters seems so darned wistful. Don't want to use anything sad-ish, it's no help for depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, being pregnant is a little the same - I cry at the slightest thing. So, I've been largely focusing on sweet decks, animal decks, light decks... :D

      Delete
  4. Alas, I am also in the camp of not being fond of this deck (at least from what I have seen of it). Really, it's just the art style, I suppose, that doesn't strike my fancy. Having said that, this Ace of Cups has a certain appeal, and I like your interpretation going beyond the "finding a new love" idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zanna. I guess I could have interpreted it as falling in love with a new deck, or something, but emotional connection is so much more than that, I think...

      Delete
  5. Hooray for no deadlines! Boy, I have to say that even READING about your life tires me out, but I also note the energy and momentum behind your posts--something I feel I often lack. Energy and projects beget energy, even while they are tiring at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely true that having things you feel inspired by gives you a feeling of energy. Hope you find your inspiration, MM!

      Delete
  6. Wow this deck has been popping up all over this past week! I just bought it a few days ago, unsure whether I really wanted it...and I totally an enraptured by it, which surprised me. All the Aces are particularly lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be the time of year ;D Glad you are so enjoying it, I think the artwork and thought behind it are wonderful!

      Delete