Sunday, 24 November 2013

Lennie Week 13 - Baralho Cigano 2

Continuing in the slightly alternative Lenormand vein, today's is a true Lenormand, but of the Brazilian persuasion.  As I have mentioned before, Lenormand's were taken over to Brazil over a hundred years ago, and have been somewhat adapted to cultural understandings from that country.  For one thing, the Cross is interpreted very positively.  For another, the Clover was adapted to become the Logs: a passing obstacle, rather than a passing bit of luck.  In any case, these very minor changes (which only really affect one card, the other changes being in interpretation rather than design), don't show up in our reading today with another Baralho Cigano (Gypsy Deck) from feiticosaromaticos (sourced through DeKeizerin, a lovely Brazilian now located in Holland).


Here we have Child, Flowers and Tower.  Riffing on these gives me:

A new creative project brings institutional limits - paperwork and red tape.
Rapunzel (a beautiful young girl locked away in a tower) :)
Creativity comes from melding novelty and the tried-and-true.
A new creative project requires some oversight.

I was reading a post over on Greylady's Hearth last night which talked about pushing her comfort zone in a creative project.  I'll admit, I tend to balance structure with innovation, rather than just going wild!  Even that can push my comfort zone, as I was one of those kids who was always told I couldn't draw or paint.  Also, being a double-Gemini, I find that without some structure to give me a guide, I don't even know where to start, seeing far too many possibilities.  Perhaps today, I'll be able to take some time to start on a painting I've been wanting to do for a while.  The sketch is already in place, but now I want to paint it in acrylics, something I've never done before - so, novelty and structure both :)

I am grateful for the wealth of colour in the world.

10 comments:

  1. Yay, Chloe, I'm so happy I could be that little nudge for you to start painting/drawing'. Feel free to post it if you like; it's the effort that counts and inspires others not the result. (look who's talking, but I really mean it:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, Ellen! I didn't manage to get to the painting, though I did start sketching something. I also combined novelty and structure creatively by doing something with Photoshop that I'd never done before to make Christmas cards of Big Boy in an elf costume :)

      Delete
    2. Good for you.
      And don't fret about it. Rome wasn't built in a day either

      Delete
  2. As a Brazilian, I confess then when I started learning the Lenormand in english-spoken forums and communities, these differences between the card meaning confused me a bit. I had the memory of watching my grandma read with these cards, and also some friends... and indeed, some of the interpretations were different in ways that could change the final message. The Cross in a reading shows you that you were protected by a higher force, that destiny would would work for you... not against you. I also remember the Birds meaning 'thoughts', not just conversation or gossip. And so on.

    These cards are entwined n our culture already... nowadays Tarot has become more popular, but 10 years ago, it was hard to even find a decent tarot deck here. Most of people began their divination studies with the Baralho Cigano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, because a Brazilian on one forum I frequent said that many Brazilians are turning their backs on the old ways of reading, because they realise they are not really Gipsy cards. I think that's a shame, as by that logic we should all stop reading tarot cards, too. Hopefully, there are still people who honour the Brazilian tradition, which has been around for a long time :)

      Delete
    2. It is true, in a sense. The problem is that many people tend to obsess about finding the 'right' way of reading, without realising it's actually a matter of tradition. But honestly this is far more common amongst those who participate of international forums on the subjects... specially when it comes to beginners, who are still unsure of their skills (and what to know the 'right way of reading').

      Thankfully, there are many local readers who don't really participate of these internet discussions and they tend to stick more closely to the traditions that they have originally learnt. :)

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm glad to hear the tradition isn't totally getting lost, as I value variety and different perspectives! I have a Brazilian book on the Baralho Cigano to read when I get some time, hopefully over Christmas :)

      Delete
  3. You are the temptress!!! LOL I finally got myself to click onto the holland-brazilian link!!! I just discovered... gorgeous decks... More to my wish list (sigh... and I thought I would not write more wished decks...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, the decks just never stop! Sometimes I think I've reached my limit and won't want another new deck, then I click over somewhere and go "Ooooh!" :D

      Delete