Friday, 29 November 2013

Lennie Week 13 - Midnight Madness Lenormand

For this last day of Lennie Week, we have another interesting, self-published deck.  This one would have fitted nicely in the Halloween week, but arrived just a few days too late.  The Midnight Madness Lenormand by Bridgett Trejo is a fun photocomposite deck, with simple playing card inserts and Hammer Horror-style titles :D



So, what do Man, Path and Bouquet add up to?

Having to choose between a man and a woman - possibly your partner and a friend.
Taking action to further your creative choices.
Making a rational choice for beauty.
Deciding between a relationship and a creative opportunity.

I can definitely see some actions I'd like to take today that would expand my creative choices.  Round about this time last year I got myself Leonie Dawson's My Incredible 2013 workbook.  One of my plans for this year was to take art classes.  That never happened, but I have been trying to improve my artistic skills on my own.  I took a class in using photoshop, and I've been zentangling and sketching.  Next on my list is to finally open and use the acrylic paints I bought back before the summer :o  Wish me luck!

I am grateful for the creative opportunities this year has offered me.

8 comments:

  1. I do wish you a lot of inspiration, joy and a sense of freedom and while playing with your paint. Please don't forget to play :) Is the drawing small enough to photocopy? That could diminish some of the anxiety to work with paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, I did try scanning it with that in mind! It didn't come out very well, though. I think I'll just accept that if the painting doesn't work out, it'll give me the opportunity to do more practice sketching ;D

      Delete
  2. You inspire me to get back to my drawings and my oils that I left many years ago, when I was expecting my baby, well... now not so baby! he is 16! :) So I'll have to buy new oils!
    You're a Master! so, no doubt you will do beautiful art!!! :) Muchas Estrellas!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, you clearly haven't seen the images from my Kindergarten Lenormand! (You can see some images here: http://innerwhisperscouk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Kindergarten%20Lenormand) In painting and drawing, I am far from a Master!! Still, I enjoy expressing myself creatively, even if I'm not very good at it. And as PLN says, practice will help me improve.
      I hope you do get your oils out again, and post some images - I love being inspired by other people :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Ellen, when it comes to playing. I can sometimes get tight with artwork and become perfectionist. I always remember an old art-teacher saying 'You've got to get the sh*t out before you do anything worthwhile'. And I agree. It's like with tarot. You've got to throw yourself into reading and make the odd mistake before your readings become any good, I believe.

    With you saying before that you are not good at art, I really admire you throwing yourself into this and I look forward to seeing what comes out of it. A natural artistic tendency is always an advantage, but practice is what can make a fair artist into a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in a different context Ellen suggested just getting paints out, without a fixed sketch or a plan in mind, and just letting myself go. I plan to try that some time - I used to do something similar with mandalas, but with coloured pencils, which I feel more comfortable with :) I'll never be a good artist, but I can at least have fun in the process :D

      Delete
  4. Yes, fun is good. When things become a chore, what is the point?

    Have you tried water-colour pencils? They might give you some control but a bit of a painterly effect. Here's quite an inspiring little tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVkG6HhwBE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, PLN, that was really interesting! What I want to create right now calls for very clear lines and some bright whites, which is one reason I wanted to try with acrylics. However, I think I'll give those pencils a go at some point - feels like they'd be a little easier to control than straight-up watercolours, but with the same lovely blending effects :)

      Delete