Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Lighting The Way

This card gives me the creeps at first glance, more than many others from the Bohemian Gothic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2007).

Our Hermit figure holds out a warm lamp, the light from which doesn't seem to penetrate far in the shadowy night.  There is also a full moon in the sky, yet it looks small and distant, and there is a mist around the trees that loom over the figure.   I think the creepiness comes not just from the dark, misty night, but more especially from the Hermit's rigid, zombie-like posture, and his eery eyes, with bright whites which shine through even the darker shadows of the non-scanned image.

Although his light is warm and welcoming, he himself isn't.  He also looks very sad, like everything he has learned has made him more melancholy, rather than allowing him to find the joy and beauty in life.  All-in-all, it is a rather mournful card.  Perhaps, though, it is that very sadness that sends him in search of answers...

Hmm, perhaps I'll have a little time today to look inward for answers.  For the most part, though, I need to dig around in various filing systems and accounts for tax information *yawn*  Ah well, it's got to be done, and it is a fairly solitary pursuit which nevertheless shines light for those who examine it later, lol.

I am grateful that not every day is as dull as this one threatens to be.

8 comments:

  1. Who knows what unexpected pleasure will light up your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did a very satisfying meditation. For the rest, I was the Queen of Procrastination: I got a lot of work done, but none of it to do with the tax question *doh* :D

      Delete
    2. Yay, good for you and hail to the queen!
      Taxes are so boring. I've helped my daughter yesterday with hers. I'm glad it's done. We've been putting it of for weeks :)

      Delete
    3. Yay, good for you and your daughter actually getting her taxes done! I can't put it off for weeks, I have to at least do the majority this week :/ Still, as I say, it was a productive day ;)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know what you think of the deck I just launched on Kickstarter, called "The Tarot of Creativity." It is a heady mix of numerology, Tarot keywords, and upside-down thinking.

    www.kickstarter.com/projects/467702680/the-tarot-of-creativity

    Aliyah Marr
    Artist and author of The Tarot of Creativity


    On Kickstarter till Dec. 1st, 2013, then on www.tarotofcreativity.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up, Aliyah, I'll go take a look :)

      Delete
  3. That Hermit is rather creepy! Oh me. The Hermit isn't usually a very warm and fuzzy card because it's a kind of soul-searching card and it highlights solitary pursuits. But this one really takes it over the top! This deck is pretty eerie. It would make a great deck for a Halloween party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've never used it that way, but I definitely put it in my creepy Halloween category :D

      Delete