Friday, 22 November 2013

Look! It's the Bat Signal!

For our last day with the Bohemian Gothic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2007) we get to see one of the Aces, the Ace of Pentacles.

There is definitely an eeriness, but also a hint of humour to this card.  A skull and crossbones decorate the spire of a tall building, silhouetted by the moon.  Skulls are used in all the pentacle cards, so this gives us a clue to the suit's expression in this deck.  It gets down to basics, the fundaments of our very body - you don't get much more material than that - and yet is also creepy, suggesting death by the fleshlessness of these bones.  The humour, for me, comes from the "bat signal" feel of the skull and crossbones being projected by the light of the moon :)

This Ace of Pentacles, then, exalts the material - putting it at the top of a tall building - and yet also pulls it down to its fundaments.  I'm not sure I see a new beginning here, yet it is a signal to focus on the material, and on life itself.  Death will come soon enough, for now, let us enjoy that there is flesh clothing our body, blood in our veins, and breath in our lungs.

I try to appreciate that gift every day, and certainly connect with it through exercise.  I would love to make time to go for a walk on the Heath today, too, though I'm not sure that will happen.  As for new material beginnings, we're getting a car!  I gave my car up back in 2004 when I moved back to the UK, and my Dear One gave his up in 2006 or 2007, but we decided it was time.  It should make some things with Big Boy a deal easier, especially when he has a baby brother.  Struggling on the tube with two kids sounds like no fun at all.  It's been nice to know we weren't polluting the planet with a car, but practicality is taking over now.  And I still plan to walk most of the time, it's more for emergencies, like last week when I had to pick Big Boy up from school at very short notice, which was extremely stressful.

I am grateful for being alive.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to put practicality and yourself first. It will save you a lot of time too
    Looking forward to a less blue deck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, yes, it is very blue! And next week is a Lennie Week, so there'll be a riot of different colours ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't envy you having to drive in London! But the car will come in handy for sure, especially for going on holiday in the UK. There are so many lovely places here that are so inaccessible by public transport they might as well be on Mars!

    I too am looking forward to a less blue deck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I learned in London, so it doesn't intimidate me too much :) And yes, my Dear One is already talking about day trips he'd like to take. I hadn't gotten that far in my mind, but there are some places I'd like to go...

      Blue isn't my favourite, either, but it is a fun deck :)

      Delete
  3. I could not take this deck serious, every single card I pulled made me laugh. Knowing that wasn't the intent of the deck at all, I let it go on it's way to someone who I hope took their hard work at design more solemnly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, if I enjoyed it, even in a way not intended by the creator, I'd still go with it. But then, I'm no good at saying goodbye to decks ;)

      Delete
  4. Great! It's beautiful travel by car, I like it because I think travelling a few days, it's a kind of break, and we enjoy with the family; breathe some fresh air, have fun and relax. It's a kind of recharging batteries :). Muchas Estrellas!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I overdid car travel, first as a child when we'd drive from London to Germany at least 3 times a year, and later when I was living in Spain. There, people think nothing of getting in the car for a 3 hour journey one way on a day trip. I used to rack up over 1000 kilometres a week, and now I just hate the thought of being stuck in a car... Ah well, I hope I will re-find the joy in it that you express so well :)

      Delete
  5. Very funny. I LOVE the bat signal reference. I was a Batman fan as a teen. Heheee. Anyway. I am glad you're getting a car. It does sound very stressful to take public transportation with two kids. I don't know how you did it with one child! I used to take the bus everywhere--I didn't drive really until I moved here to the front range. I didn't want to drive in Denver. Also I didn't even learn to drive until my 20's. But because we live in a not-very-big city, the bus system is terrible and I had to buy a car because I was driving between three towns/cities to teach art classes when we first moved here--some of then 40-50 miles apart! I realized it was impossible not to drive, unless I wanted to be stuck at home all the time.

    I'm glad I did that--I feel much more independent now.

    Much LOVE to you,
    MM

    p.s. I really want to get a hybrid car next time I get a car. My car is still good and is a small car, but I would love to get one that saves on gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes, all that old Kapow! stuff :D

      So far we've been lucky, as Big Boy adores public transport. And living in London, the system is pretty good. Even the buses have been updated so they're all monitored and they try to avoid long delays or too many buses at once. Still, I can see why you'd need a car where you are, and I think that trying public transport with two kids would be tough, especially as Big Boy still can't be trusted to walk unaided :(

      We looked at hybrid cars, and electric, but they only seem to come in dinky sizes or huge sizes, and we wanted something in between. However, we went for a diesel, with an eye to changing over to vegetable oil in the future...

      Love and hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete