Friday, 15 November 2013

Lounging

For our last day with James Ricklef's Tarot of the Masters we have another lovely card: the Three of Cups.

I like the way these three are lounging around, enjoying a balmy afternoon in the company of friends.  It's interesting to have the suggestion of a harem with the arabic costumes and accoutrements.  While this can have negative connotations of male dominance and enslavement, I have also read that women within the harem often had a great deal of freedom, and an in-built support network.  Of course, that would depend on the group dynamics, as you can get positive and negative dynamics in any system.  Still, this card is a reminder to look for the pleasure in others' company, and the support of those around you.

As for its spiritual message, in The Soul's Journey James writes: "As the 'friendship card,' the Three of Cups calls to mind a wonderful line from the 1946 movie, It's a Wonderful Life: 'No man is a failure who has friends.'...  It also suggests an Erma Bombeck quote, which contains a wonderful bit of advice: 'If I had my life to live over I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.'  And it urges us to remember the old maxim, 'A friend in need is a friend indeed.'"  He suggests some advice for making deep, meaningful friendships, and also comments that: "perhaps the best times spent with friends are quiet moments togher, times when our souls are united in joy even if outwardly we are not doing anything special."

Well, that last line is lovely, and something I hope for in my reunion with my Dear One and Big Boy today.  Although I've only been away for 48 hours, I miss them!  So, nothing splashy planned, just an afternoon of playing with Big Boy, and an evening on the sofa with my love :)  And if there's time, I'd also like to connect with some of my lovely blog friends, as I had little time free or internet access while I was away!

I am grateful for the love and friendship in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you are very special loving day with DO and BB
    This kind of lounging fits me a whole lot more than the jumping around of three merry maidens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, yes, I can just imagine you and your daughters sitting peacefully in your garden, Ellen :) I quite like the dancing maidens, but then I also love dancing or doing yoga with my girlfriends...

      Delete