Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Prehistoric Path

Seeing today’s card, I can appreciate why some people find this deck, the Deviant Moon Tarot (U.S. Games, 2007) creepy.

In this Ten of Wands we have a rather prehistoric looking character.  With his three fingers and three toes, and his head like a pterodactyl, he’s hardly going to win any beauty contests.  He walks along a light path, surrounded by a bleak landscape.  The colours are all muted, from the dark brown and black of his robe to the dusty brown of the twiggy-looking landscape.  Even the landscape looks like a sepia take on black, with a full moon shining from above.  The brightest things are the gold of his mechanical eye and the red of his lips, which only serves to highlight the sharpness of his teeth.

Still, I find hope in the fact that he walks a bright path amongst the rough landscape.  Though burdened by ten thick, wooden staves, he carries on regardless.  His mechanical eye peers out at the world, assessing where he is going.  Sometimes, we need that kind of  unthinking dedication to help us move forward.

It's funny, I don't really feel this way today.  I have plenty to do, it's true, but none of it has a fixed deadline, which I always find more stressful.  Though some of the paperwork I have to read is certainly going to be boring...  The only really burdensome thing is that I have to wait at home for a couple of deliveries (medical equipment for Big Boy, and a present for his friend, whose birthday we're going to on Saturday). 


I am grateful for the ability to order things and have them delivered to my home.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad my postman doesn't look this way :)
    this isn't my kind of deck at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love dark decks. Something about the edge of creepiness while I'm safe at home, maybe, or the invitation to plumb the shadow? At the moment, though, I can't even read the back of a regular novel without crying, so dark decks don't appeal as much ;)

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, re postman, Ellen.

    I thought this deck would be my kind of thing when it came out, and even though I think so many of the cards are great, there are many that just don't jive with me at all. I have never found it creepy, just disappointing :(

    I sometimes wonder what I'd have thought if you'd told me how we'd live our lives now twenty years ago. Shopping online, mobile phones bleeping all over the place. It is convenient, but I wonder what it will be like in twenty further years. It's kind of a scary thought. The worst you could imagine is probably doesn't even touch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, I've never heard anyone call this deck disappointing before. What was it that you felt let down by?

      As for what life will be like in the future, I'm a double Gemini, so I could see it flying many different ways ;)

      Delete
    2. Some of the cards are really beautiful, but there are some which I really don't like. I think it is the characters on them that don't resonate - like the one on the 7 of Swords (I think) and the 9 of Swords, also. They just stop me every time I reach for it. They seem different to a lot of the others. I don't like The Lovers either. Or the 2 of Cups. Personal taste, I guess. I actually prefer the sketches and line drawings by the artist to the finished deck. They feel more elegant. I may give it another go sometime. It's been years since I last used it.

      Delete
  3. Hi my dear friend! I like your reading!, and I see although the landscape seems to be dark, he has clear his goal and he tries to have his eyes opened wide, he seems not to be worried about and I think the full moon is positive, am I right with the moon?. Te mando Muchas Estrellas!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete