Sunday, 17 November 2013

Pyrrhic Victory

A couple of interesting twists are added to the Six of Wands in the Bohemian Gothic Tarot (Baba Studios, 2007).

At first glance, once again the image seems quite traditional: a man riding a horse is surrounded by a crowd at ground level.   The first twist is that, rather than riding along inside a town, or along a road, the man is clearly leaving a fortress.  Heading out to fight, perhaps? 

The second twist is where more of the gothic creepiness slides in, as the army is made up of skeleton warriors.  This adds levels to the oft-suggested interpretation of succeeding with the support of others, or winning their acclaim.  It seems almost cheating to go into battle when your warriors presumably cannot die.  And they seem unlikely to be willing or adulating, with the suggestion that they are animated and controlled by necromantic arts.  What kind of a victory can come from this, and who will celebrate it with the man?

I consider myself very lucky with all the help I have.  Far from mindless zombies, we have a couple of nannies working with Big Boy who are trained physios, and another who trained as a special needs teacher.  My Dear One is also helping out a lot more now, saying it's his contribution given I'm pregnant again.   I can certainly do with it today, as I cut my thumb quite badly making dinner last night.  It's amazing how hard it is even to type right now - I'm so used to two-handed touch typing.

I am grateful for the wonderful help and support from those around me.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've got a boo boo. Take full of advantage of it. Maybe develop a slight limp for good measure. ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! To be honest, I don't think I need to add in the limp, as my Dear One was the one to bandage it up (he has first aid training), and he could see I'd really sliced a chunk off it :o It hurts to put my hair up in a pony tail, and there's no way I can do the dishes :D

      Delete
  2. Eek, thumb-cuts. I went over my thumb with a scalpel when working once. My thumb healed but my mind never did. I still shiver if I have to do anything with scalpels and rulers. Hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, your comment made me think of the Knight of Swords from this deck, who has thumb-screws and various other implements of torture about him. And he is known for hasty actions, too :) Yeah, it's amazing how much more we use our thumbs than we normally notice, no wonder we become risk averse! At least these days you spend more time with scissors than with scalpels :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Carla. Recovering from such a severe cut could teak DAYS!!!
    you are allowed to let yourself be pampered so you can save your strength for later
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, sadly Big Boy doesn't seem to agree with you. He was not best pleased that Mummy and Daddy paid him little attention while my Dear One bandaged me up, and he sees no reason why I shouldn't do all the things for him that I normally do. The delightful self-centredness of young children :)

      Delete