Monday, 9 December 2013

A Change Is As Good As A Rest

These cards from Delphi Sutherland's Oracle of Proverbs really are beautiful! 

Today's is illustrated wonderfully with a life-cycle scene.  I love the subtle, warm shades of the butterfly's wings, the deep colours of the cocoon, and the cute creepy-crawliness of the caterpillar.  It's an interesting image to choose for this proverb.  Normally, I'd associate it more with going somewhere different, or doing something different, from your everyday life.  Here, instead, we are taken to a far more dramatic transformation: a change at a deeper level.  A change too self identity, rather than just to mundane pursuits.  It's curious, as well, because with the cocoon in there, it points to the idea that something which looks like rest may still be very active...

Have to say, being pregnant I almost always feel like I could do with a rest these days.  Though there is plenty of change going on, too :)  I find it strange that I often feel most energised when I'm tired, if it's that I'm buzzing with ideas and plans and therefore can't sleep.  Other times, when I do actually rest, I wake feeling lethargic, perhaps because I have nothing driving me onward.  Anyhow, we'll just have to wait and see what kind of day today will be, and if I feel tired, maybe I can take the suggestion to work on something different for a while.

I am grateful for the variety of life.

2 comments:

  1. When I have a buzzing head full of ideas or worries it helps me to do an activity with my hands which require just enough thought to silence my mind (crochet, coloring a mandala etc
    I hope you will have time to nap today :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful card. Can't stop looking at it. Lots of changes in the card but there isn't much rest going on in the card. Or perhaps the illusion of rest when in the cocoon stage? But then what is rest? And is change as good as rest? haha, too many questions. I too am grateful for a variety of interests and being able to set one aside, as in giving it a rest, while moving on to another to change up my mental and physical processes. Have a great day ... and work on something while resting today.

    ReplyDelete