Sunday, 8 December 2013

A Nice Little Nest Egg

For this second day with the Oracle of Proverbs (Delphi Sutherland, 2013), we have A Nice Little Nest Egg.

A beautiful nest sits on the ground amongst lovely flowers.  In it, are four blue eggs and a golden one.  To me, this speaks of storing up wealth for when it's needed later.  Of sitting on something, knowing it will become more than what it is now, given time.

Of course, this is most often used in describing a pension fund, or an investment that you hope will grow over decades.  Yet, it made me think about other things we invest in, adding a bit more over time til it builds up to something momentous.  For example, we can curry favour at work, build up a reputation, or build up a network of friends who will be there to support us in good times and bad. 

Certainly, it is friendship I think of firstly today.  My Dear One, Big Boy and I are going to a party this afternoon, given by one of my old university friends.  I am godmother to one of his daughters, who turns two in a couple of weeks.  We have both invested in this friendship over the years - an invitation here, an email there - keeping the connection alive.  Now, should anything dire happen, I would happily do all I could to help bring his daughters up, and I know that he would be there for me, too, in troubled times.  Not that those are the only reasons to stay friends, they are just a lucky benefit of the friendship, good will built up over time.

I am grateful for good friends.

4 comments:

  1. I like your thoughts. I don't think we always think about what we are investing into things like friendship, do we? But it is a pot that becomes richer, the more you put into it.

    That card reminds me so much of this one from The Gaian Tarot - http://www.gaiansoul.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/four-air.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that: a pot that becomes richer, the more you put into it! :) And strangely, I hadn't twigged to the similarity to the Gaian Four of Air. Perhaps because this is an oracle, or because the tarot equivalent would more likely be the Four of Earth... You're quite right, though, they are pretty similar!

      Delete
  2. It also makes me think about the principle, the more you give away and share (kindness love gratitude etc) the more available those qualities are in you. So you are accumulating energy by giving it away (difficult to put this in English but I hope you'll understand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly understand, Ellen, and that's a beautiful point :)

      Delete