Sunday, 1 December 2013

Admitting Defeat

Yeesh, another Swords card today from the Otherworld Tarot, and probably no-one's favourite: the Five of Swords.

Still, in some ways I like the keywords Alison Williams, the author, chose: Admit Defeat.  There are other phrases that normally come to my mind for this card, like humiliation or a lose-lose situation.  Yet, the encouragement to admit defeat holds a grain of potential: once we admit defeat we can let go and move on.

As for the visuals, a scary, snarling beast looks back over its shoulder at us.  Fortunately, five swords bar its way.  Though I guess if that's the way you were thinking of going you're doubly out of luck!

Well, I got my acrylics out yesterday, but had to admit that it would be only the first of many sessions.  Not just on that particular painting, but to get to know this new medium.  In the meantime, I think I may follow Prince Le Normand's suggestion and try out watercolour pencils as a half-way house between already familiar techniques, and one that doesn't require as much set-up and clear-up time, nor have as steep a learning curve... 

I am grateful for the advice of friends on alternate paths to take :)

4 comments:

  1. I feel rather protected by these swords :)
    Good for you to try out another medium. In that way you can experiment and find out what suits you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope in time to be able to do something with lots of different media, but I know it'll be in baby steps :)

      Delete
  2. Monet painted some of his famous paintings better than 200 times before he was satisfied. I don't know what it is about these times that makes us think we should have perfection right out the door. It does our talents a disservice. I've been making quilts since I was 19 years old, and I still improve something each quilt, and I'm always surprised by it...thinking each time I already knew it all. :)
    I hope you will show us some of your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Sharyn. I've been practising yoga for 23 years, and still feel things differently each day :) I guess with painting it's just that I know I have so far to go, and yet I would like to be able to do something that doesn't feel ugly to me. Ah well, patience :)

      Delete