Sunday, 29 December 2013

Lamentation

Yikes, this is a rather harsh version of the Five of Swords from the Anna K Tarot (Llewellyn, 2013)!

Richly-robed and armed men tower over cowering women, children, and corpses, bloody swords raised high.  Flames lap at the ground and buildings in the background, and the sky is dark and overcast.  You can almost smell the smoke and hear the cries and whimpers of the vanquished.  It reminds me of Conan the Barbarian (1982), and Conan being asked what is best in life.  His response: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Certainly, humiliation and defeat are often seen in this card, as is an attitude of willingness to win at any price.

Looking at this card today, I am reminded that there are always at least two perspectives in any situation, even if they are not always as contradictory as shown here.  Certainly, I've been experiencing a situation that is rather like that.  I think there are at least two people who see themselves as the victim.  And I can see both their perspectives, will try to support both in some way, while also having to weigh the broader situation. 

I am grateful for some respite from the stresses around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment