Tuesday, 10 December 2013

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle...

For today's card from the Oracle of Proverbs (Delphi Sutherland, 2013), we have one I'd never heard of except in an abbreviated, film-title way. 

The full proverb is far less ominous than the 1992 film of the truncated title.  Instead of talking about a demented nanny, it suggests to me the importance that education holds.  Not just education, but also a loving and honest environment in childhood.  If we give children love, and help instil values in them that we believe in - by which I mean through our actions, rather than just through lecturing them - then we spread those values into the future, and beyond the home.

It's interesting to find a proverb that recognises the importance of child-rearing, given how low a priority it is in the current social structure.  Still, education at every level, and starting early, is something I believe in passionately.  And that goes for everything from Jamie's School Dinners to Gandhi's "Be the change you want to see in the world" attitude.

It's interesting to have this reminder, as I have recently been thinking a lot about how I want to bring my children up.  On the one hand, I was brought up with an attitude that it is not enough to be "just" a mother.  On the other, I think the way we bring children up affects not just them, but society as a whole, so what could be more important?  Still, as so often, I think there needs to be a middle path.  Seeing that their mother has a passion for what she does is also a valuable lesson for children!

I am grateful for the values my mother instilled in me, including the ability to question those very values.

4 comments:

  1. As long as your are questioning you are moving forward! I am always amazed how many unspoken lessons children are able to pick up with their tiny invisible sensors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's often the unspoken lessons that are the strongest! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, the great juggling act - keeping yourself sane and happy and your family too! Whatever it is you do, even if it's for the best of reasons, your kids will find some way to castigate you about it in later life. Guaranteed. It's their job :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, that's so true, Alison! I know that from the daughter's perspective, as my little one is too little still for chastising :)

      Delete