Monday, 13 January 2014

Dragon's Hoard

I like the colour-coding of the suits in the Tarot Draconis (Lo Scarabeo, 2013).  Today's card, the Four of Pentacles, is a good example of that.

A dragon rises up over a hoard of golden treasure topped with a brimming money chest.  Four large, dragon-engraved coins sit beneath the chest.  And yet, despite all the gold, the strongest colour comes from the green backdrop.  Not trees or forest, more like the green of a cave interior, flecked with bright, golden sparks.

This speaks very obviously of holding your possessions in high regard, of fiercely guarding what you have and adding to it.  More subtly, it reminds us that a material focus is not purely bad: sometimes, in order to grow, we first must build up our reserves.

I take this card as a reminder to store up the reserves I will need for birthing in a couple of months time.  Already, I have a hospital bag almost completely packed and at the ready, with a couple of bits that I ordered online due today.  Sleep will also help fill my energy reserves, as will meditating and staying strong through exercise.  Sounds like a plan :)

I am grateful for the reserves of strength, calm and patience I am developing.

9 comments:

  1. Nice interpretation - my best wishes for an easy birth! Btw I did leave a comment on the post Trois de Batons - did you see it? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thanks, both for this comment and well wishes, and for the other one. I'm running rather behind on reading/replying, as we're looking for a new carer for my son, and in the meantime don't have much help with him. When I've got him, I get barely any computer time, and what I do get I use mostly for work :/

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you an abundance of resources for the coming time. Watch out for "thiefs"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I think the worst thieves are Facebook and such-like :) Thanks, Ellen!

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of sleep being a reserve. Nice connection. Building up strength.

    I've seen this deck around, but I just can't click with the style :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it helps with physical reserves, after all, Pentacles aren't just money :D

      I'll admit, I don't think this CGI is up to Ciro Marchetti's standard, but there are some very interesting cards...

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree. I have never really warmed to Ciro's decks, but he is on a whole different level. These kind always appear a little clunky, but I must admit that the 8 of Cups you have just posted is a lovely image!

      Delete
    3. I think most CGI artists do better with not-such-close-up images, and especially sticking to the non-human, those are easier. Hence why that 8 of Cups works well. Ciro is definitely in a different league! :D

      Delete