Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Fly Me To The Moon

While some may complain that there are no suit emblems on this card from the Tarot Draconis (Lo Scarabeo, 2013), I think it illustrates the card's meaning beautifully!

In this version of the Eight of Cups, a dark dragon flies through an even darker sky, headed towards the bright moon above.  Below the dragon, the sea is choppy in the foreground, calmer in the distance.  I really like the notion here that the dragon is flying upward, seeking the clarity of the moonlight.  It leaves behind the choppy waters of deep emotions and subconscious thoughts. 

It's interesting that there are no neatly stacked cups here, with the sea itself standing in their stead.  It suggests that, rather than the emotions we leave behind being ones that are happy and tidy, these are powerful, sometimes dark feelings.  And in flying up towards the moon, and the calm of the waters farther away, the dragon seeks to let go of this tumult, and find a quiet calm.

It's interesting, as this card was also one of three that came up in the reading I had with James Ricklef on Monday.  I know which difficult emotions I need to leave behind, and I'm certainly trying.  He made an interesting suggestion about how I might do this, so I take this card as a reminder to research that...

I am grateful for the emotional support around me.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the image on this card! I sometimes think of the Eight of Cups as a reminder to return to the source... to whatever feeds us or energises us. There is a place of deep stillness that I can reach when I meditate or go walking in the woods. When I'm in that place I'm able to access my subconscious mind, my intuition, and the great sea that is universal mind/heart. This place brings me peace when my day-to-day intuitive energies and emotions are out of balance. I can see all that in this card. I'm curious... what's the High Priestess like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful perspective, Sharon. I see it as a leaving behind, seeking something more, which fits, though from a slightly different angle. That description of connection to the source is a wonderful one :)
      As for the High Priestess, not sure how I feel about it. A dark dragon stands between two pillars, a clawed hand on a scroll, and with glinting purple eyes. It looks kinda scary, rather than wise...

      Delete
  2. I adore this picture too! I have to be honest I am not keen on dragons but this card really is really evoking my emotions. Who wouldn't want to ride this dragon and be carried to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll connect more with dragon's through the Druid Animal Oracle... I think I fell in love with them due to Anne McCaffrey's books. And the Chinese tales of dragons are more fearsome, but still wondrous :)

      Delete