Friday, 3 January 2014

Lion Tamer

For this last day with the Anna K Tarot (Llewellyn, 2013), we have the beautiful Strength (numbered XI in this deck). 

I love the softness of the woman's gaze as she appears to stroke the lion's neck, and the way the lion rests a paw on her leg.  While the lion bears its teeth at her, it also keeps it's claws sheathed, and accepts her touch.  The woman holds a chain around the lion's throat, which I like a lot less.  Still, sometimes we need to keep a tight rein on our more brutish instincts.  Overall, this card gives me a sense of warmth, of kindness, and a gentle taming of different aspects of ourselves, rather than a dismissal or harsh suppressing of them.

I wonder what parts of myself I might need to tame today?  Impatience, perhaps, or even a bit of fear...  We have an appointment with the obstetrician this afternoon, and even though everything seems to be going fine, I've realised again recently how many worries I have around giving birth.  Natural, I guess, given how things went with Big Boy, but something I definitely need to get a handle on, without beating myself up for having these feelings.

I am grateful for loving support in dealing with my fears.

6 comments:

  1. I am with you on the chain. It was the first thing I've noticed when I saw this card
    Try to be gentle for yourself. Just as you say: it is only natural you feel this way. Do not try to chain your lion, just pet it and look is in the eyes with love
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your last sentence, Ellen! I'm trying :)
      Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Yes the chain is interesting... Maybe for me, my wild self can go in all directions which can be fun but the shadow ones not so much. Sending the best energy to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, petting the wild without letting it take over, that's a nice way of looking at it, Maggie :)

      Delete
  3. I'm in two minds about this card. I love the overall atmosphere and the soft yellows but the collar and chain seem to... I don't know... contradict the gentleness there. As Maggie pointed out sometimes we need that extra bit of loving control so maybe the purpose of the image is to remind us that some instincts/emotions need to be kept on a short leash? Actually, the longer I look at this card the more I like it. It's very soothing. Hope all goes well for you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. It's been interesting hearing different takes on the chain, here and on the TABI Facebook page. As for the day, it all went fine, and I think I'm starting to get a handle on those fears :)

      Delete