Thursday, 23 January 2014

Stilt Walker

Another weird and wonderful card from the Phantasmagoric Theater Tarot (US Games, 1998): the Three of Wands.

In this version, we have an extremely long-nosed stilt walker wearing a black hat and white costume.  His stilts are tied to two little carts, which hold smiley-faced creatures.  One of them carries three star-topped wands, while the other wears a pink t-shirt decorated with a club.  All three appear to be in a circus big top, with a purple and orange awning, and funny jelly-shaped pedestals in the background.

Certainly, the central figure will get a good view from his position, like the traditional figure looking out over the sea.  There's no water here, but perhaps a sea of people in the audience that we can't see from our vantage point.  And maybe what he's waiting for is the applause :)

When I look at this card in terms of my day, though, it's less the idea of gauging where I am that strikes me, than the precariousness of being up on those stilts.  My Dear One and I are going to meet with a midwife today, and I feel a bit that way.  While my Dear One and the midwife will be there for the birth, supporting and cheering me on (I hope), I'll still be in that precarious place myself, the one who could suffer a mishap.  Still, as the card suggests, that position also means that I will hopefully achieve something wondrous: birthing a healthy child safely.

I am grateful for the love and support around me.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to interpret this card. I hope you and you midwife get along just fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! She was really nice, very helpful and calm - good attributes, I think :)

      Delete
  2. Will you give birth in a hospital? Thank you for the lovely Lennie!!! It arrived today. :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to because of the previous problems. This was one of the midwives from the hospital, doing an antenatal refresher with us. I get that lots of people feel safer in hospital, but there are still plenty of things that scare me - BB was born in hospital and suffered terribly, nonetheless.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Glad the Lennie arrived, happy early birthday :D

      Delete