Monday, 27 January 2014

The Ancient Mariner

Another Major greets us today from the Tarot of Mermaids (Lo Scarabeo, 2003, mini 2005): the Hermit.

I really like this image, which seems to combine the traditional Hermit with Poseidon, or perhaps the Ancient Mariner...  He has a mer-tail, a cane, a lamp, and a toga-style swathe of fabric that floats around him in his underwater perch.  There are rocks in the background, but not much else to be made out of his surroundings.  Yet, the white of his toga reflcts the light of his lantern, turning him into a beacon of tranquility.

He is a reminder of the passage of time, and of all that we can learn in the years alloted to us if we choose to illuminate the world around us, and ourselves.  He has had the wisdom to survive, allowing him to become an elder, which is not always as easy as it may seem.

I haven't done as much studying as I would have liked of late.  Perhaps today I can take a little time to read some papers for the meeting tomorrow.  I'd also like to spend some time in meditation, a more inward-focused form of study...

I am grateful for the ability to read, which I have so long taken for granted.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the tendency to turn inward, when I was pregnant, grew stronger each week, month. I wanted to focus on just one thing. While all the world around you seems to spin around faster and faster, trying to stay centered is the most healthy thing to do. Enjoy your meditation :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely card. I considered this deck many times. A bit too female-dominated though, if I remember rightly.

    Turning inward is something we do every day with our blogs. I really enjoy that half an hour I spend here with my coffee in the morning, drawing from my little table next to the computer and then reflecting here. Even though I considered disabling my blog (I have archived and shut down my old Blogger one), I think I would really miss drawing online and soul searching every day for something to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hermit card and relate to it well. Reading! Yes, I take it for granted too, and am behind on some of the reading I've been wanting to do myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete