Friday, 14 February 2014

Lunatic Tarot Overview

For this week's second post, I thought I'd take a closer look at the Lunatic Tarot (Evan Yi Feng, 2005).  In fact, there was quite a nice cross-section of cards in Monday's reading: a Major, an Ace and a Minor.  Still, for today I've drawn one card from each of the four parts of the deck.

In terms of positives, I like the sepia tones of the images and their prettiness.  The deck is clearly RWS-based, despite most cards being fairly close-up on an individual and without much of the more traditional symbolism.  That makes it quite easy to read straight out of the box.

For example, the Moon is very obvious, though the pretty girl may distract a little from ideas of a dark night of the soul, and the unconscious.  However, I can see her suggesting uncertainty, in her youth, and shadow work, with her strangely dark eyes.

Likewise, the Ace of Cups works for me, with its large, overflowing cup, even if it is held by another pretty girl.  And it also has a nod to the traditional dove :)

The King of Swords brings in some sumptuous, Klimt-like fabrics, and a rather Asian-looking King.  I like the suggestion of rationality in the geometric patterns on his clothes.  He also has a firm, almost stern expression, and his hand rests easily on his perfectly straight sword.

However, this deck is not for the prudish, with its sometimes very sexual, bondage-based imagery.  The Seven of Cups gives a perfect example of this (as did the Eight of Swords on Monday).  Is she the one with emotional choices to make, constrained until she picks one of the cups behind her?  Or is she someone's fantasy, a choice they daydream about?

So a pretty deck, an interesting and readable one, but not without its challenges...

4 comments:

  1. I think it is a pretty deck indeed but not one I would likely buy
    Momentarily I am not sure which deck I want and that is new for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, I bought it during my Aeclectic Forum phase, when it was "the rage". I'm not sure I'd buy it now, either. These days, I like to support self-published decks when possible, and I still have a soft spot for Lo Scarabeo decks - they are happy for people to blog with them ;) Still, if you're happy with the decks you have, that's the best thing of all! :D

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the review.

    I just ordered this deck, the regular one and can't wait to use it.

    I'd like to add a few comments though. I hear there is no little white book. Is this correct? I'm ok with that but its good to know.

    Also, anyone considering getting the portfolio edition, its beautiful but the cards are about the size of a regular sheet of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I'm afraid I can't remember off the top of my head whether there is a LWB, I suspect not. I hadn't realised that the portfolio edition was so large, thanks for the info :)

      Delete