Thursday, 20 March 2014

Ostara Blog Hop

DruidCraft Tarot
Previous/Master/Next

When presenting this blog hop's topic our wrangler, Joanne of Cosmic Whispers, mentioned its position as turning point between light and dark, being the equinox.  She then challenged us to write about the rebirth and renewal possible at this time.  The two together inspired me to create a spread based on a card from the DruidCraft Tarot (Connections, 2004).

How so, you might ask?  Well, firstly, in this deck the Judgement card is renamed 'Rebirth'.  Secondly, as you can see from the scan, it shows a golden-haired child emerging from a dark cave: light emerging from darkness :)  There is also a man blowing on a horn, announcing the rebirth and perhaps helping guide the boy out into the light of day.

1) What darkness am I leaving behind?

2) What new hope is approaching?

3) What can help me find my bearings at this time?


I decided to give the spread a quick go using another deck by the same artist (Will Worthington), the Wildwood Tarot (Connections, 2012).

Wildwood Tarot
1) What darkness am I leaving behind?  Ten of Stones (Pentacles)

How interesting that this card shows us the view out from inside a cave, as opposed to the cave from outside seen in the Rebirth card!  This card says to me that I am leaving behind a feeling of being trapped.  It's also interesting, given I have just given birth: my second son leaving the home of the womb to join us in our new home. 

Giving birth means that I am no longer restricted by my pregnant body, yet it does come with different restrictions.  A baby who needs nurturing, feeding, cleaning, loving.  Who will have his own schedule, and not give a damn what my plans are.  I will also be more housebound, if only for a short while...

Wildwood Tarot
2) What new hope is approaching?  0 - The Wanderer (The Fool)

What a perfect card for new hope.  There is a world of possibility opening up to me, with every day a new adventure! 

Although this is my second child, it will still be a totally different experience, stepping out into the unknown at every stage.  That can be a little daunting: not for nothing is the Wanderer the zero, the unknown.  It is also exciting, though :D

Wildwood Tarot
3) What can help me find my bearings at this time? 16 - The Blasted Oak (The Tower)

Ha, as ever the tarot shows its sense of humour!  What can help me find my bearings is letting go of any rigid ideas about where I should be going or how I'm supposed to get there.  I can't follow any map, and trying to do so will just set me back and make me feel all the more lost. 

This card echoes the Wanderer, challenging me to go with the flow, to take surprises and shocks in my stride, to be willing to have my perspective turned upside down.  Rolling with the punches, seeing it as a dance rather than a fight, is my only option, the only way to stay present with where I am right now.

I hope you'll give this spread a go, and maybe leave a comment with your reading or a link.  My reading was certainly thought-provoking, and will hopefully help me through this time of joyful challenges.

Previous/Master/Next

21 comments:

  1. I love this spread and think I will try it out tomorrow since today was all about gardening.
    The blasted Oak... LOL What else can you do with a new born child then follow his lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried it. Loved it!
      http://greyladyshearth.blogspot.nl/2014/03/a-rebirth-tarot-spread-for-ostara.html

      Delete
    2. Wonderful reading, Ellen, and so funny we both got the Fool ;)

      Delete
  2. Heheh, yes, kids (and especially new babies!) have a unique way of knocking us out of our well-laid plans :) You know I pulled a similar set of cards earlier today based on Margo Benson's post, and I also pulled the 10 of Pentacles for what I'm leaving behind! Interesting stuff! For me it was about how distracted I am with work, taking care of the family, cooking and cleaning, etc. I don't pay enough attention to carving out time to focus on new creative projects, which is something I should pay more attention to (my "what is coming into the light" was Page of Cups). I like how you've added a card about how to find our center or balance during the transition. Enjoy that new baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia, I'm definitely enjoying the baby - besotted is probably a fair description :) Hope you do carve time out for your creativity, it's important, too!

      Delete
  3. Many congratulations on your new baby! Lovely post - I shall try your spread in the morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Fool and the Tower, both saying, "Forget your preconceptions and just GO with it!" Made me think, a lot, today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was interesting for me to have the Tower in such a positive position, as it's stalked me a bit in the past. So, doubly good, as a change in where I'm at with it inmy life and my perception...

      Delete
  5. Very interesting reading, and I love the cards that you got and how you interpreted them. The image on that tower card sure does bring surrender and going with the flow to mind, something I really want to be better at doing. Once that flaming dude hits the water, the flames will be out, and the river may be taking him somewhere really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like you calling him "that flaming dude", Siddaleah :D And yes, going with the flow is quite a challenge, but I love the idea of seeing where the river takes us...

      Delete
  6. Hi there, thank you for this lovely post, and for the spread idea. I used it, but modified it just a tiny bit. I wanted to share it with you. :)
    http://blessedpagan.blogspot.com/2014/03/ostara-reading-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great reading, Bridgett. So good to be open to rebirth, and rejoining society :)

      Delete
  7. Okay. The Blasted Oak made me giggle. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, never read it that way ;) That would fit nicely with the Tower, too: the Blasted Tower!

      Delete
  8. Inspiring! I never considered any challenges joyful...wonderful spread, fab perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne, glad you enjoyed it. As for joyful challenges, I try to follow Arwen's lead and find joy in all aspects of life. Poo-ey diapers show my baby is eating well ;D

      Delete
  9. Will definitely try this out...thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do, Alison. Though there are always so many interesting spreads each hop...

      Delete
  10. Yep, no real planning for awhile, I should think. There are still occasions when I miss the baby stage of motherhood, but they don't last long! Grandchildren do not look to be on the horizon, though.

    I took your challenge and got the Tower as the third card as well. So, having the children grown does not lessen my challenge to go with the flow or bear the consequences of rigidity, eh? ;) The first two cards were 7Wands, QSwords. So, leave the fight and make a clear decision for the sake of your soul (the butterflies in the queen's cloak). That'll work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby stage does have its delights :)

      Loved your reading, too. As you say, we can get rigid at any point, in so many ways. Good luck with those clear decisions!

      Delete