Monday, 12 May 2014

Sacred India Tarot BMS

This week, I'll be reading with the Sacred India Tarot (Yogi Impressions, 2011).  This deck has colourful, detailed imagery, in what I think is a mix of pencils and water colours, or maybe water colour pencils.  It uses sacred Indian myths and deities to illustrate tarot archetypes.

Body - The Emperor

This quadruple-headed deity, Brahma, not only creates and brings order to the world.  He also has to take responsibility for the consequences, hence his need to see all around him.  Yet, he keeps creating, and reminds the beings he has created that they, too, have free will.  So, they must also take responsibility for their deeds.

The Emperor suggests to me that I need to be a bit more structured this week in my exercise and diet, and take responsibility for what I do.  Makes sense, as being away at the weekend I ate less healthily than normal.  So, I'll try to plan meals ahead, and perhaps workouts, too.

Mind - Queen of Pentacles

In this deck, the Queen of Pentacles is Hariti, a Queen with a superabundance of maternal and nurturing energy.  She had such a desire to mother, that she went around stealing other women's children - yikes.  For me, though, one of the aspects of the Queen of Pentacles is that she puts her material resources to good use, however great or small.  I think of her making a nice meal from leftovers, for instance.  As a card for the mind, it speaks of our thoughts around abundance, and using our resources strategically.

Thinking about how best to use the resources at my disposal fits well with  the Emperor's message.  Once again, planning meals and shopping is appropriate: I'd planned to set up an online shop for the week, but didn't get around to it with all the craziness of travelling.  So, better do that today!

Spirit - Two of Pentacles

This is a very unusual depiction for the Two of Pentacles!  It looks more like the Six of Pentacles, with the wealthy figure above and the paupers below.  It was chosen to show the "secluded youth" of Siddharta, the Buddha.  His father wanted to keep him away from all knowledge of poverty, sickness and death.  Yet, ultimately the Buddha turned away from this life of abundance and pleasure - finding a balance.

The companion book states that the insight of this card is: "Self-discipline and the ability to say "No!" are your best friends at this juncture."  That certainly fits with the previous cards - finding the strength to say no to the temptations of sloth and gluttony, and to embrace a better balance physically, which will also bring a greater spiritual balance to my week...


8 comments:

  1. I've looked at this deck. I really would love to have it, I do so love the Indian pantheon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if your new venture takes off, you'll have an even better excuse to buy decks :)

      Delete
  2. I've also had this deck in the back of my mind for quite a while. I really like the artwork. I bet it will be one of those which nobody makes too grand a grab for until it goes out of print and people start falling over themselves to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, PLN, I can totally see that happening!

      Delete
  3. It looks like a nice deck to work with. But for now I am content with the decks I already have (miracle!!!)
    TYour reading is all about balance. This theme present itself so very often on various blogs that it could be considered to be a life lesson for all of us :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for contentment, Ellen! :)
      I wonder whether it just comes up so much because it is integral to how modern readers interpret many tarot images. If we followed fortune-teller meanings, we wouldn't see balance issues in most of our readings... So, I guess that brings it back to balance being a part of the Zeitgeist, and hence a relevant lesson to everyone living at this time :D

      Delete
  4. I really like this spread you use! I tried it out the other day, and it was clear and insightful. This is an interesting deck, as well. I like the artwork on the Lovers card (from your more recent post!). Really pretty….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the artwork is gorgeous throughout :) As for the spread, I'm thinking about doing something different soon, double Gemini that I am ;)

      Delete