Friday, 20 June 2014

Amanda Palmer Tarot Overview

This week's deck is unusual, in that it was created by 78 different people.  Rather than being united by a genre, the theme of the deck is a person: Amanda Palmer.  I'll admit, I hadn't heard of her until I saw the kickstarter project for this deck.  However, what I saw there interested me enough that I then went and watched her TED talk, and several other Youtube videos about her - a fascinating person!  Clearly, the people who got involved in the Amanda Palmer Tarot (1900 INK, 2013), thought the same.

While the artwork is incredibly varied, overall the deck works really well, helped by the unifying power of the organiser, Madeline Matz, who did a beautiful job on the card backs and packaging.  Those who got involved in the project clearly put plenty of thought and talent into their participation, and the deck is richly diverse, yet always intriguing, much like Amanda Palmer herself.

For example, the Lovers (by Corina St. Martin) shows us Amanda and what I presume is her husband, leaning close together and surrounded by glittering stars.  I love how blissfully calm and connected they look.  They have clearly made their choice, and are happy with it. 

In terms of Court cards, the Princess of Wands was one that caught my eye, and I was delighted when it came up for this overview.  Created by Lani Irving, who you can also find on Facebook, it intersperses Amanda's face with old newspaper, bits of thread sewn through the paper, and what I think is a picture of a needle.  There is an interesting 3D effect to this image, textured and yet fragmented.  While the card is very eye-catching, it seems more like the Princess of Swords - cutting and brittle - than of Wands.  I guess, though, the Princess of Wands can be a bit disperse, pulled in different directions by whatever interesting project catches her eye in the moment :)

The Ace of Wands, by Mary Walsh, is another great card, though picked at random.  Amanda Palmer seems to be quite literally singing her heart out. Here we have all the passion and drive that characterise this card.

Though the artwork is quite different, I also like the Nine of Cups, by Lisa Tagliaferri.  While quite traditional in most ways, we have Amanda Palmer as the figure on the card, holding a cocktail glass and a microphone that echoes the shape of the eight glowing cups behind her, and with her name in lights behind that.  Perhaps suggesting that emotion can light up your life and bring you satisfaction if you are willing to grasp and hold onto it.

I had a discussion with Prince Lenormand recently about things we look for in a deck, and what our pet peeves are. Overall, I'm not a fan of decks which aren't consistent in their artwork.  However, perhaps strangely, I prefer decks like this, where each card is different, yet where there is a strong unifying theme, to decks where the Majors and Minors are different from one another.  While I doubt this deck will become a favourite reading deck, it is readable, and a very nice collectible.

P.S. Tomorrow there will be an extra post as part of the Tarot Blog Hop...

8 comments:

  1. Great overview Chloe. And what an interesting subject for a deck. I confess that I have never heard of her before but spent a while just reading about her on Wikipedia. Makes the images more interesting when you know a little more.

    I'm with you on the consistency thing. Even though 78 different artists would not be my idea kind of deck, I'd prefer that to a shift in consistency between Major and Minor, as there is with The Fenestra or Llewellyn Tarot. These ones seem to actually work together nicely as they are all vibrant.

    Look forward to seeing more in the extra post ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I might never have heard of her if it hadn't been for this Tarot, but found her fascinating when I dipped in. And it does make the images even more interesting :)

      'Fraid there won't be more images from this deck in the extra post, that's going to be a Lennie post... ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah, that's ok .. I like Lennie posts too :)

    Was looking at the Bone Fire Tarot today. Have you used that here. I don't remember it if you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, yes, I did post with it, you can find the posts here: http://innerwhisperscouk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bonefire%20Tarot
      There's an edginess to it that doesn't suit my mood at the moment, but it's a nice deck :)

      Delete
  3. I have to admit I've never heard of Amanda before. I thought she was the mastermind behind all the other artists
    Yes it looks more like collectible than a working deck
    Looking forward to the Lennies :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Lennies, I think I'll be doing three weeks in a row with different decks :)

      Delete
  4. That Lovers card...to me it looks like he has taken his blue-tooth device off, and she has left hers on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sharyn. Hadn't thought of it that way, but now you've said it... :D

      Delete