Friday, 27 June 2014

Kindergarten Lenormand (2nd Edition) Overview

2nd edition pack
This week's deck is my own Kindergarten Lenormand (GameCrafter, 2014).  I originally drew this deck in 2012 to use when testing out readings around the pagan and timing aspects of the Celtic Lenormand.  I also wanted some images to use in presentations and handouts for Lenormand workshops, and to have 'spare' decks for students to practice with.  Never expecting that people might actually want to buy something I'd drawn, the first print run was just 16 decks, of which I have two left.

Blank cards
Pepi Valderrama reviewed the deck, and liked the blank cards, which I'd just sent her to protect the other cards from being bashed around.  That made me decide to add in some blank cards that still feel of-a-piece with the deck in this second edition, so people can express their inner child :)

Why print another edition at all?  Well, seeing as the Celtic Lenormand has been delayed in coming out, I still need images to use in presentations.  Plus, I'm planning to self-publish another deck later in the year (I won't yet give away anything about it, as it isn't completed), and wanted a practice-run, so to speak.  And hey, some people seem to like the simplicity of these images.  

Explanatory cards
All the cards have been re-mastered, to clean up the backgrounds and make the colours clearer.  I also decided to add in playing card inserts, including fully illustrated Courts.  And I created four cards that give keywords and explain some of the pagan and timing aspects.  The deck has additional 'people' cards - a female Rider, a male Child, a Man and Gentleman, and a Woman and a Lady - as well as other extras I wanted so it would be closer to the Celtic Lenormand in structure...

In the images you can see the original cards I drew, the first edition print run, and the new, second edition, to compare and contrast!
 
Clover: original, 1st and 2nd editions

Snake comparison - I like that the 2nd edition is bigger and brighter :)

16 comments:

  1. Wow Chloe you are an artist. Never put creative skills down again!!
    I love the crisp colors and the courage of your inner kiddo to draw with fearless lines.!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen :) I had a lot of fun creating it, with playing cards and sharpies. And then I had fun again when I re-edited it - it was interesting to learn how to use Photoshop, which I also used for the Celtic Lenormand. Both flow activities, in different ways :D

      Delete
    2. Btw when will the C.L be published?

      Delete
    3. Still no date from US Games, I'm afraid. I'll definitely shout it from the roof tops as soon as I hear :D

      Delete
  2. Great post.

    I have always preferred simple Lenormands. My first was the one by Titania and I still class it as a favourite. So this is perfect in many ways :)

    Ooh, and surprises up your sleeve too ... ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, perfect isn't a word I'd associate with it, but it is simple :D

      Ah yes, surprises will be revealed on this blog first, but probably not til the end of the year... ;)

      Delete
  3. Well, perfect is in the eye of the beholder :) I've just found that for me, general reading (tarot and oracle alike) is far easier and more enjoyable when the images are simpler and not too cluttered. There are a lot of decks where so much is going on and I can't see the symbols straight out - the Art Nouveau styled Lenormand from Lo Scarabeo is beautiful but hard to focus on. So your deck works for me :)

    I look forward to your surprises. Better start saving the pennies then, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'll always try to keep the costs reasonable - I think the Kindergarten is the cheapest Lenormand on the GameCrafter. Unfortunately, their shipping charges will probably put off lots of people from Europe :(

      Delete
  4. This is great, Chloe! Can't wait to see what else you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I like it better than the first edition, but I'm clearly biased ;) And I think you may rather like the end-of-year surprise, it's features some very elegant dresses and hairstyles :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, and I love the box on the second edition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PLN. That was an extra challenge, as I had to design it, something I've never done before. And I've changed it since that pic - I realised last night that I hadn't actually put my name anywhere on the box, GameCrafter page, or deck *doh*

      Delete
  6. Great blog post! I love the cards. Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zanna! I really enjoyed creating them, and they are certainly clear and simple for reading :)

      Delete
  7. This is great! I'd seen this when you were first making it but hadn't quite grasped how far you have taken this. Wow - Chloe you created a deck, that's amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth :) I had a lot of fun doing it, both the original drawings and the re-editing. And learned a lot in the process, about Lenormand, drawing, and Photoshop ;)

      Delete