Friday, 11 July 2014

Whimsy Lenormand App Overview

Article first published in the TABI Ezine, Summer 2014:

The Whimsy Lenormand app for iPhone/iPad uses the deck of the same name, created by Pepi Valderrama (2013).  The 36 borderless cards are bright and playful, and have the card title in English, the Lenormand number, and an abbreviated playing card association.

As for the app functionality, you can draw a single card, a line of 3 or 5, or a 3x3 square.  Going into the settings allows you to chose between the app shuffling automatically when you choose your reading, or when you shake your device :)

There is also both a journal and a 'share' function.  The journal works nicely, with plenty of space to write and a saved screenshot of the cards so you can track your readings.  As for the share function, you can send yourself or someone else a pretty screenshot and commentary by email or text, or either tweet it or upload it to Facebook.  Finally, it also gives you the option to save the image to your camera roll, assign it to a contact, copy it, or print the reading out: so, a really full range of possibilities.

In terms of card meanings, these are easy to access by tapping to enlarge a particular card in a reading and then 'turning it over'.  The meanings give keywords, and positive and negative interpretations, all taken from Pepi's own book on the subject (originally published in Spanish).

There are three things I had thought might be there which aren’t: the option to look through all the cards; the ability to draw a GT, and the ability to create your own spread.  Overall, though, it is a handy, fun and very user-friendly app.  There is a free version, which doesn’t give the journal option or all of the spreads, and then the full version, which costs £0.69 - definitely a good deal!

6 comments:

  1. My second fourth go at commenting ... bloody Wordpress.

    I don't have i-Phone but I really enjoy these reviews. Aside from it being so portable, I also like the idea that you can try out a deck for such a small amount of money and then buy the physical set if you bond with it. Good for saving storage space too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, no iPhone ;) Sometimes I think everyone has these, even Hannah got converted last year... As you say, it's really handy to try out decks. Overall, I prefer "real" decks, but these are also great for when I'm out and about, or if I'm holding the baby and have no hands free :D

      Delete
  2. Haha, no. I have a Windows smart-phone, which I find really easy to use. But I don't think you can get so many good apps for that, so I never really bother looking at the store.

    I use a Mac so it would probably make sense to switch but I have so many problems with passwords and clouds and all the rest, I am hesitant to have a full-on-Apple-experience. Maybe next upgrade ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm hoping they come out with something decent this year, as I'm due an upgrade...

      Delete
  3. Can you recommend any Lenormand apps for an android phone? The virtual reading capability isn't the important part but I like having the easy to access card/spread info. If you are familiar with Galaxy Tone apps, that would be a perfect example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eve, I'm afraid I'm not up on android apps. However, I believe the Gilded Reverie Lenormand is available on android, and Ciro Marchetti's virtual decks are always excellent! :)

      Delete