Monday, 4 August 2014

Silver Witchcraft Tarot Reading

Another witchy deck this week, but this one is brand-spanking new!  The Silver Witchcraft Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2014) was created by Barbara Moore, with artwork by Franco Rivolli.

Situation - Seven of Chalices

An interesting feature of this deck is that the Minors two through nine are associated with the eight pagan sabats, starting at Yule with the two.  So, this Seven of Chalices is connected with Lammas, which was last Friday, 1st August!  Barbara Moore has done an excellent job of connecting these up with traditional interpretations.  Here, we have someone harvesting the first "fruits": apples, corn, tomatoes, grapes (green and purple), honey, pears.  An abundance of riches may have us confused about what to choose...

Don't - Page of Chalices

The Page stands knee deep in water, with sylphs all around her.  Above her is a triple moon, and in her hands a chalice.  She wants to explore emotional possibilities, to connect with the flow of life.

Do - Page of Pentacles

How funny to have two Pages as the Don't and Do.  This Page stands in a field with yellow blossoms all around her and a gnome at her feet, offering her another bloom.  She holds up a bunch of grapes, as though to fully savour their scent, sight and taste.  More exploration, then, but of the simple pleasures of everyday life.

Have to admit, I'm rather a multi-tasker: I tend to have lots of different things on the go at once.  However, this reading suggests I perhaps can't do everything, and should make some choices this week.  And rather than following my heart, I need to be practical - do the things which I need to do, rather than those I want to do.  Bah, humbug!

9 comments:

  1. Interesting to see you using this deck. I like the bright and warm colours. I thought that 7 of Chalices was the 7 of Pentacles though. It's kind of like the one in the Tarot of the Hidden Realm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cards aren't always apparent at first glance. However, the companion book is good, and I think that looking deeper the connections to traditional RWS ideas are still strong. I don't like the artwork as much as Tarot of the Hidden Realm, but the symbolism is a lot clearer...

      Delete
  2. I love the reading and even more your first honest reaction to it. :)
    Sometimes you need a card to tell you what you don't want in order to be absolutely sure what you do want
    So follow you heart and enjoy life this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Ellen, yes, that bah humbug was quite heartfelt! And already, something has exploded at work that I have to deal with :( Ah well, real life does sometimes get in the way of following our bliss, but so long as we don't forget where our bliss is, that's okay, too :)

      Delete
  3. Cool deck! I love the connection between the minors and the sabbats. At its simplest, this reading suggests that you focus on harvesting the practical rather than the esoteric - but that doesn't mean doing things you don't want to do! A big revelation for me was realising that the suit of pentacles reveals the magic in our everyday lives - maybe it's more about grounding the things you want to do in reality, rather than in dreams? (This would certainly work with my usual understanding of the Seven of Chalices/Cups...)

    Thanks for sharing this deck, I'm off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the connections between minors and sabbats work surprisingly well! And yes, I also see the magic in the everyday of the Pentacles.

      I have to say, this week so far I have had to focus on the practical, in several ways. Firstly, a big to-do at work which has prevented me from working on any of my "soul projects". And secondly, I finally accepted that I wasn't practically going to be able to achieve something, and so, despite some sadness, I have drawn a line under it. Realistic, though emotionally a bit tough, but I figured this was the week to face up to reality! And I'll make magic other ways :D

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I found your blog. The sabbats-minors connection is really such a unique thought. Thanks for posting about it.

    Reading your comment above about your"soul projects" :)
    Sometimes we are forced to just put them in our pocket, and let them simmer for a bit. :) I always have trouble with this because I want to be working on soul projects all tof the time! I am a huge believer that those projects are our happy place, so I do hope you find the time to pull them out later though. xoxoxo Many thanks for the info on this deck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MizPixie Chris, nice to see you hear. And yes, the sabbats-minors connection is very interesting, and works surprisingly well.

      As for soul projects, you are quite right. These never really go away, just take a little more time to "bake" than we might wish for :) I've been having a good go at one of them this week, which has definitely put me in my happy place! Hope you're having a good week, too :) Chloë

      Delete