Monday, 18 August 2014

Tarot of the Angels Reading

Last week, I was reminded of this angel tarot which I've had for a long time, the Tarot of the Angels (Lo Scarabeo, 2008).  Looking through all my angel decks, I think this is my favourite tarot, and second favourite over all.  It isn't overly sweet, and offers lots of original interpretations, while still being readable according to standard meanings.

Situation - Six of Pentacles

A seeming mix of the Five and Six of Pentacles, here. A figure in tattered clothes and with bare feet huddles in a doorway.  Above him, six coins shine out from the door, while a grey-winged angel reaches down, offering the man a helping hand.  Is this really an angel, or could this angel be any of us, offering help to someone in need?

Don't - The Hermit

A cloaked and windswept figure walks away through a barren landscape, towards a beautiful sunset.  This person holds a lamp in one hand, and a walking stick in the other.  Above them, an angel peers through dark, boiling clouds, holding a mirror.  When we walk away from the everyday, we see ourselves in a different light.

Do - Ace of Coins

A huge, golden coin floats above a heavily-laden apple tree at the front of an orchard.  On the coin is a great snake, held in the claws of a double-headed eagle with wings outstretched.  Not only material abundance here, then, but also joy in nature and strength.

This week, my elder son goes into hospital again, for a somewhat complicated operation.  That is foremost in my mind, and so I see it in this situation card.  A time of hardship for us all, stress and worry.  A time when others are lending a hand to make this situation less hard.  And also a time that gives me the chance to offer kindness and empathy to my son, who needs it the most. 

Nevertheless, when something like this comes up there is the temptation to hide away from it, to bury my head in the sand.  It never helps, as no matter where I turn, there I am with my worries.  What may help, though, is to focus on the practical: on what I can do for him.  And perhaps also on the physical: exercising always improves my mood and relieves stress...

10 comments:

  1. I bought this deck about a year or so ago. I liked the images as they are quite down-to-earth and not sickly, like a lot of angels. I like the palette too.

    Sending thoughts and care this week, hoping that your son's operation is a success. I really like your interpretation of The Hermit in the context of helping others. Maybe it even suggests a way of getting through - helping others as a way of taking your mind off of your own worries for half an hour? Alternatively, maybe it suggests not going into yourself when you worry, but sharing how you feel with others?

    Lots to think about there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely lots to think about, thanks for your take on it, Steve. And yes, I have been talking things through, a trouble shared... :)

      Delete
  2. that cross of 5 and 6 is interesting in context of your son. The 5 because he needs a lot of medical help, the 6 because the help is available.
    I'll be holding him in the pocket of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharyn, that's absolutely beautiful! And yes, I like your thoughts on that 5/6 crossover :)

      Delete
  3. My dear (((Chloe)))
    Sending you lots of love, and courage for you and your boy
    Gentle Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellen. We keep telling him he's a brave boy, but it's so hard for me, too, watching him in pain. Ah well, I know it's for a good cause!
      Gentle hugs to you, too :)

      Delete
  4. Hola Chloe, te mando mucha fuerza, mucha luz y un beso gigante para todos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchísimas gracias, querida amiga brujil.

      Delete
    2. :) Me gustaría contactarte por mail, pero no se que dirección, al que aparece en el contacto cuando recibo mi suscripción ? Gracias! Besos!

      Delete
    3. Sí, ese estaría bien :) Besos!

      Delete