Monday, 15 September 2014

Alice Tarot Reading

This week, I am delighted to have finally gotten my hands on the latest deck from those Baba Studios creatives, the Alice Tarot (standard edition).  I've wanted this deck since Karen Mahoney first announced they were working on it, a couple of years ago!  Still, first impression is: it was worth the wait!

Situation - King of Wands

I'm not sure you can tell from the scan, but these cards have shiny bits.  On this card, that translates not just to gilt bits, but also blue and red metallic bits: very nice! 

The Mad Hatter is passionate and enthused about life, and manages to carry others along with him.  Some folks think his actions a little crazy, but there's no doubting his dynamism.

Don't - The Devil

I like the way some elements of the images seem to burst out of the borders, as though they are too strong or big to be contained.  We see that here, with the Jabberwock: a fiercesome creature, part lizard, part bat.  Of course, our own fears are always far worse than the actual threats we face, and the worst that happens to us is more likely to be from our own poor choices.  Still, "Beware the jubjub bird and shun the frumious bandersnatch" :)

Do - Queen of Swords

Oh my, this Queen looks rather grim, despite the warm colours of her clothes (highlighted with lots of metallic, can you see the glitter?)  Still, the Queen of Hearts seemed a pretty grim character, yelling "Off with his head!" at the drop of a hat, or tart.  Yet, later in the story we hear that she doesn't actually execute anyone.  So, a softer touch than she seems: a woman who threatens swift justice but is actually kind-hearted under her bluster.

I've certainly got plenty of plans I'd love to plunge into, with Mad Hatter-like impetuosity.  The Devil reminds me, though, not to allow myself to be distracted by tempting shiny things.  Hmm, no extra readings with this deck, then :D  And the Queen of Swords suggests strategic time-planning will benefit me in getting things done.  Okay, perhaps not just a to-do list, but a plan for how to best fit things in is first up!

6 comments:

  1. When you are overwhelmed with choices I like to be supported by this queen. She will help you to make crystal clear decisions but has also as a mother you best interests at heart
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice way of looking at it, Ellen. I don't always see the Queen of Swords as being a mother, but certainly someone who has been through a lot, and so is compassionate as well as clear-witted :)
      Wishing you a lovely week, too!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes a blustery exterior can have the desired effect. Awesome looking deck! I am saving my pennies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so worth it! Wait til Friday, I rave about it in the review. This is now my second favourite deck of the year. I think the Tarot de St Croix still beats it marginally, but only marginally :)

      Delete
  3. This deck looks lovely. I admit not to be particularly "swordsy" but over the past 6 months or so I've been pulling this Queen (and the King as well) quite a bit. It's nice to have that clear, rational energy leading the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deck is truly gorgeous. I relate quite strongly to the Swords, so it's nice to have her onboard this week :)

      Delete