Monday, 1 September 2014

Isidore Tarot Reading

This week's deck is a fun, neo-Victorian pastiche created by Bethalynne Bajema, the Isidore Tarot (self-published, year unclear).  It is based on the artwork of J.J. Grandville, as was the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot (Baba Studios, 2006).  Still, this deck very much has its own voice, and is quite distinct and delightful.

Situation - Ace of Coins

A hand emerges from a mustard-colour cloud, holding a black circle with a hole in it.  Up close, there is delicate etching on the coin.  A new beginning, a coin to spend or invest as we choose.  Will it be spent on a gym membership, a cake, or invested in a fund or a personal project?

Don't - Queen of Cups

A yellow-bonnetted figure on a Victorian armchair looks deeply into a very large and ornate cup.  Looking closely, she also has a fishtail.  Hardly your traditional bathing beauty mermaid, though :D Still, a person who can flow with the emotions around her, and one who is not afraid to look deeply into her own feelings.  However, this is what we should avoid this week.

Do - King of Cups

An austere man with a strong nose holds a cup high.  That, at least, is the first impression.  Looking closer, though, his face appears to be a mask, and a mertail rises behind him. So, a figure who hides his emotions from others behind a mask, and keeps his own feelings at arm's length.

Hmm, seems like a new start is called for, but one where I shouldn't focus directly on my emotions, though they may be very present.  It makes me think of tapping (EFT), where you work through emotions without actually going into the feelings.  I've tried tapping to change my eating patterns in the past, maybe I should focus on that again this week... 

6 comments:

  1. Ah, this is an interesting one, Chloe. I like Granville's artwork.

    And what an interesting reading too. It seems very clear. I'll be interested in seeing how this manifests for you and whether the advice of the cards helps in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Steve, this is one of those decks that I think I'll use for myself beyond this blog, as I like it's colour palette and funny images.

      As for the reading, turns out I didn't do hardly any tapping. However, I did have to be the emotional stalwart in the family when my DO flipped out a bit. So, his was the Queen of Cups melodrama, mine was the King of Cups finding a way through the emotional minefield :)

      Delete
  2. "Where you work through emotions without actually going into the feelings". That sounds like you've found a little hidden road in the forest :) I do hope tapping works for you. Anyway it is a good way to spend some quality time with yourself after such a stressful period.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not 100% sure it works, yet, but I do feel it helps. Also not sure you get to avoid the emotions entirely, but it does relax you while you express them...
      Hugs, Cxxx

      Delete
  3. You're right -- it looks like a fun deck! I think your interpretation is spot on, noting the similarities (Cups) and the differences (Queen vs King) in the "Don't" and "Do" positions. Tapping is a new one for me. I will look into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth exploring, Zanna. I used it to reinforce hypnobirthing suggestions for my second baby, and had a very easy birth. I've also noticed an improvement in my emotional state around eating, even if I'm not yet where I want to be with that :)
      As I said to Steve, it turned out a little differently in my week, but definitely highlighting the Queen vs King differences :D

      Delete