Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Memory Lane

Radiant Rider Waite - my first deck
Previous Blog/ Master List/ Next Blog

As the catchphrase goes: one good post leads to another.  To follow the blog hop round, click on the links at top or bottom of this post.  First, though, I hope you'll follow me down memory lane...

Morgan Eckstein asked us to write about quantum leaps in our tarot reading.  Moments when we realised that things had changed.  I'm never sure if these leaps come based on the build up of lots of little things, or are really as sudden as they sometimes seem.

I can think of a fair few of these leaps in my time reading tarot.  The first came when I took an eight week beginners course, and really plunged into reading daily, understanding all the cards, and having the confidence to manage bigger spreads.  A beautiful leap of faith that has taken me to wonderful places!

Comparative Tarot
The next was when I joined the Comparative Tarot list, back in the day before forums, and dug deeper into the variety of meanings a single card/archetype could hold.  Two other such leaps, going through an endorsement programme reading for strangers and joining various card study groups, I've talked about over on the TABI post for this hop.

Another really big one was the learning provided by going to work for a tarot phone line!  Some of that was learning about how to phrase questions, how to connect with all kinds of different people, how to trust my intuition in the moment, and how to look for what someone can positively take away from a reading.

Bohemian Gothic 1st Ed.
A big chunk, too, was learning what not to do: why I don't feel comfortable doing third party readings (I'm not a spy, and while someone might claim they just want to help their sister-in-law, they might then turn around and attack that person for a perceived misdemeanour!); why I don't like purely predictive readings (what good are they if you don't talk about what the person can do about an impending issue?); and why I don't call myself a psychic (while I do believe there are great psychics out there, and that we all have flashes of this, I don't trust myself enough to offer this 'knowledge' to someone else, I'd rather they learnt to listen to their own flashes of insight).

Interesting to think back over this tarot journey, where I started, and where it's taken me so far.  I wonder where I'll leap next... :)

Previous Blog/ Master List/ Next Blog

29 comments:

  1. I like your thoughtfulness quite a lot, and will never forget the kind words of encouragement you gave me when I first took the leap into reading for strangers. Mabon Blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your clients are all glad that you took that leap, too! Many Mabon Blessings, Olivia :)

      Delete
  2. 'A big chunk, too, was learning what not to do'
    Definitely! That's a brilliant point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) As a teacher, too, this is something I point out: if a student doesn't agree with me, that's great, they can learn from what they don't like about what I say and do!

      Delete
  3. ha! I bet phone lines really gave you a big awakening! It's nice to see that you have set lines that you do not cross while giving readings. It tells a lot about who you are. Blessed Mabon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a leap, and bizarre in many ways, but I also enjoyed it. I think about going back to it sometimes, but many people wanted or expected me to cross those lines in that setting, and that doesn't appeal... Blessed Mabon, Bridgett :)

      Delete
  4. I remember CT ...a great way to learn about cards in depth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd blame them for my tarot addiction, but that started even before CT :D

      Delete
  5. Very brave doing the phone lines. I'm not sure I could :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, it's not for everyone. I'd imagine you'd have the hardiness for it, but might miss having a live person in front of you :)

      Delete
  6. That's so odd - I just mentioned the Comparative Tarot deck on Morgan's blog post and here is the group!!! It was a great group. Loved the post, thanks Chloe <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I shall have to go see what you said. Yes, I loved it, such a learning experience - lots of decks, lots of people :)

      Delete
  7. Thought-provoking as always - thanks, Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison :) Haven't worked my way round to your Alembic yet, but I'm hopping along bit by bit :D

      Delete
  8. Master list---OMG that white print on the black background. Can't read it. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you need help with a link, just yell. :)

      Delete
  9. Sure, the third party reading could be bad but: Don´t you agree that either way people already know what you are about to tell them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about then knowing at some deep level, or else why are they asking. Still, having 'confirmation' is a different matter, and what if we just pick up on what they so strongly believe, rather than the 'truth'? Then we are supporting them in their delusion or paranoia. For me, it's better to stick with the querent and what they can deal with/do. :)

      Delete
  10. You've had a lot of tarot experiences, haven't you? All I did was buy a deck, get disillusioned by a purple site, and start a blog. There's no way I could work a phone line. I've heard horror stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now then, don't downplay your own experience! You've bought a lot more than one deck! And getting disillusioned with the purple site was also a journey with lots if learning attached to it: about tarot and theory and how people think and communicate. And it isn't just one blog, nor do you only post sporadically. All that before getting to things like the TABI endorsement process (another journey), reading professionally, attending conferences and reading face-to-face! :D

      Delete
  11. I've done the phone lines too. They were a definite in-my-face way of going deep and fast into Tarot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did phone lines? Till today I wouldn't dare do phone lines! XxJo Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it takes a certain kind of person or set of experiences. I've done phone work in ither contexts, too (market research, for instance), so it wasn't such a leap for me :)

      Delete
  13. With you on making the querent listen to their own flashes of insight :)
    But the phones? I've toyed with the idea... I keep coming back around to it but never taken the leap myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly interesting. Lots more men callers than you get with email readings. And lots of minorities: cultural and sexual. Still, also a lot if the "when will he call/come back" readings, too...

      Delete
  14. Yep, scared of phone line work. I'm with Chloe in that I think I'd find myself being asked to transgress my ethics all the time.

    Wish I'd been around for the Comparative Tarot group. Just those four hermit possibilities looked really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The group was much better than the deck, Joanne. People from all over would post a description of the card from whichever deck they were using, and their interpretation. Lots of different decks and perspectives! :D

      Delete
  15. Never underestimate the strenght of daily repitition! No matter if it is tarot or if is meditation, out jogging or something completly different!

    ReplyDelete