Sunday, 21 December 2014

Christmas Crackers

Christmas Cracker Spread
Previous Blog/ Master List/ Next Blog

Welcome to this Yuletime Tarot Blog Hop, where one post leads to many more.  What's a blog hop?  Well, here you'll find bloggers from around the world writing about the same subject and the same time, from very different perspectives.  So, let's go!

Our topic this time, from the lovely and inspirational Arwen, is the Joy of Gifting.  What sprang to my mind for this is the joy of spending time with family (I like mine, which helps!).  I thought about the gifts we offer one another round the table when we come together.  These go both ways, giving and receiving, though sometimes with more seeming to fall on one side than the other, depending on your perspective.  And yet, things seem to even out eventually, rather like the shared crackers at Christmas dinner...

My mother
Christmas Cracker Spread

For this, I drew two cards for each person who will be sitting with me this Christmas:

1)  The gift I offer them
2)  The gift they offer me

Obviously, this could get pretty big, if you have lots of family over, but mine is quite compact.  Still, another thought if you have a tarot-friendly family is that you could go round and have people draw cards for the person next to them, each one saying what they see in "their" card for the other.  The focus is on looking at their relationship and giving thanks....

My Mother - Queen of Cups/Two of Wands

When I first saw these cards, I thought they were the wrong way round.  After all, she is far more the Queen of Cups than I, how can that be what I offer her?  And yet, I give her recognition for her compassion and intuition.  And in my own way, I try to follow that path.

My stepdad
The gift she gives me, the Two of Wands, is to accept that the path I choose to express that Queen of Cups-ness may be very different from hers, yet is still an honouring of this inheritance: an expression of emotional nurturing and healing.

My Stepdad - Five of Pentacles/Knight of Swords

Originally, when I was trying to decide on how to do this spread, I thought to include my father here, as my family who has given me much, at least genetically.  Then I realised that I wanted to honour those with me, and that is my stepdad, who I don't believe I have ever included in a tarot reading before!

And that realisation is expressed perfectly in this Five of Pentacles, showing the Our Lady of Guadelupe watching over day labourers, people at the outskirts of society.  I can offer him loving acceptance, hospitality, and express just how much I feel he is a part of my family now.

As for what he offers me, it took me a moment to recognise him in this Knight of Swords.  Often, he will sit by silently, then suddenly offer a flash of insight, or a witty jest.  Like this Knight of Swords opening the way for a ray of sunshine, he brings good cheer with his sharp intelligence.

My DO
My Dear One - The Hanged Man/Nine of Pentacles

My biggest gift to my Dear One has been a willingness to put myself in limbo, and to make physical sacrifices.  My plans seven years ago, five years ago, even three years ago, did not include having a second child.  I absolutely dote on both my boys, and yet it's also true that I had to put a lot of things on hold to have another child.  And as a woman in my forties, it is also somewhat challenging at a physical level (though I'm pretty fit for my age).  I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it, but I knew my partner wanted another baby, very much.  And I'm glad I did, it has definitely made our family life more joyful.  As for my career, I'll start getting back into it slowly next year...

As for his gift to me, I see in this Nine of Pentacles his total support of all my projects, no matter how strange they may seem to him.  Not everyone would be so tolerant, or supportive of someone going off and doing their own thing.  I really value that loving fallback, which allows me to go off and explore and create!

My elder son
My Elder Son - Five of Swords/The Emperor

What I gift my elder son is the Five of Swords, hmm...  I'm fairly confident in saying that my DO and I have never made our son feel like the child in this image.  We may not manage the idyllic perfection of the Ten of Cups, but we don't argue in front of him, and we don't ignore him.

I think I'll go with a different, more intuitive reading of this card.  I see the woman standing between her child and a judgemental man in a suit, an authority figure.  I always stand for my son, defending his best interests in the face of the medical establishment and educational authorities.

And he gifts me the Emperor, well, that surely resonates!  The Emperor came up quite often after he was born.  For one thing, he can be a bossy little dictator ;) However, that has meant that I have learnt to be more structured, more disciplined, and more of an Emperor myself, to give him healthy boundaries.

My younger son
My Younger Son - The Magician/Six of Cups

With my baby, I gift him the feeling of being a Magician.  With every little squeak or yell, he has the power to manifest miracles: milk from mummy, food for his tummy; a clean nappy to keep him happy; smiles and hugs and toys, delights for little boys :)

And oh, that last card is so true!  His gift to me is a reminder of the simple joys of childhood.  This is exactly why my DO so wanted another child.  It has been a miracle to see how easy and fun it can be to have a "normal" child.  We can just enjoy his mad rampages around the living room, his drumming on whatever he finds, and eating everything, and exploring the world!

Now, I wish you much joy exploring the other posts in this hop, and a wonderful Yule time however you celebrate it.  And if you should happen to try out this Christmas Cracker Spread, either for yourself or in a group, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Previous Blog/ Master List/ Next Blog

32 comments:

  1. I could definitely see you standing up to the doctors and others who don't listen but just want to tell you what to do in that Five of Swords! I love that you can do this spread with various people. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev. And yes, I've done a fair bit of standing up to doctors. It's not my natural approach, but I'm getting better at it :)

      Delete
  2. I think the best gift is that to your stepFather. As a mom with a blended family, I hope he reads this. What a great gift. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a really great guy, and I don't think I tell him that enough... Hope you had a lovely festive season with your blended family, too, Tina :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Beth. I think it's quite flexible, which is always good :D

      Delete
  4. Lovely reading and spread! Merry Christmas to you and your family Chole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! Your Christmas looks to have been hot and beautiful ;)

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful. What a great way to celebrate using divination. It has such a nice affirming, connected feel to it. I like the way you described the people and the cards. I hope you will have a much less stressful week this week. xoxoxox, MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya MM, well, it wasn't less stressful, with us all being ill. Still, it was good to appreciate the joys of the relationships we have :)
      XOXO, C

      Delete
  6. Your perspective about your stepfather brought tears to my eyes. As my hubby is one too, I pray that my son embraces him the way you do yours. That would be a perfect gift. xxJo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to the Goddess' ears, Jo. I hope you and your family had a wonderful festive season!

      Delete
  7. What a delight to read! Merry Christmas to you and yours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison! Hope the festive season was joyful for you and yours :) Cx

      Delete
  8. I like that Knight of Swords card and your interpretation is perfect! Thanks for the spread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy, glad you like the spread! And yes, funny to think of my stepdad that way, yet it really fits :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Well, I couldn't just do your spread three times, Arwen, so I had to get a little creative ;)

      Delete
  10. Love your unique take on the topic, a very insightful spread for appreciating the gifts we give and get from our nearest & dearest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiona, glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful spread! I'll have to try this soon, perhaps for one of my next posts (I've been lagging behind due to the holidays!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia! I really enjoyed this one, and I like its versatility. Still, I know what you mean about lagging behind due to the holidays. Hope you find your feet again soon :)

      Delete
    2. Alright, I did it! Just published my post about your spread. It's quite nice, your layout!

      Delete
    3. Lovely reading, Olivia! Having a "partner in crime" is wonderful :D

      Delete
  12. This is a great spread, Chloe! Sorry I'm so late at commenting though!!! :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Ali. And as they say, better late than never :)

      Delete