Monday, 8 December 2014

Lojong Cards Reading

Something rather different this week, in the form of Beverly King's Lojong Cards (self-published, 2014).  These feature beautiful photography, and a handy little booklet to help explain the Buddhist Lojong slogans, as well as giving insight into the imagery chosen.

I wasn't sure how appopriate my regular spread would be, so decided instead to ask "This... and also this..."

This... 44 - Train in the three difficulties

The difficulties are the kleshas, and in this slogan it's about getting mugged by your emotions, and then putting yourself back in the exact same situation!  The image is of three ant lion sandtraps.  What a great way to illustrate this, as emotions can certainly feel like quicksand!

So, a warning to look out for situations where I get myself in an emotional trap, and the advice to use these difficulties to become more aware of my emotional blocks.

And also this... 57 - Don't be jealous

In the image, a cactus leans away from a begonia, jealous of its beauty, perhaps?  As Beverly explains in her description, jealousy leaves us feeling prickly, and closes our heart.  Instead, there's a recommendation to practise 'sympathetic joy'.  "When we celebrate their happiness as if it were our own, we cultivate loving-kindness and weed out jealousy."

It's not very pleasant to think of myself getting trapped in an emotional morass of jealousy.  However, no matter how fortunate I am, nor how much I try to be an open-hearted, generous person, it's true that we all have our sticking points, our emotional patterns.  This card asks us how much of what we do is driven by a desire for recognition?  And if we do good to have it recognised, does that detract from the good we do?

I think it's almost impossible to entirely avoid the desire to be seen for what we do: we are socially interdependent creatures, who see ourselves through the eyes of others.  The point is to accept that we want others to value us, and in the same way know that others want us to value them.  Generously giving our attention and appreciation to others takes the focus away from just ourself.  So, while I'm working on some things for next year that I hope will garner a degree of success and recognition, perhaps this week I can focus on how I can applaud and encourage others...

And if you'd like to read some journal prompts inspired by these cards, you can find them here

12 comments:

  1. Yay, you received them Chloe! I love my set, and it's so interesting to see how others use them. I found one card at a time was enough for me as I have a better chance of memorizing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely, woley :) I can see what you mean about one card at a time, but I also like how they played into one another. I think that might often be the case, given the fact that the slogans make up a larger piece of buddhist thought, if you see what I mean...

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an interesting deck! I really love the concept, and what a great way to learn the lojong principles.

    Also this: "getting mugged by your emotions, and then putting yourself back in the exact same situation" - ha! Gosh that sounds familiar... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Gosh that sounds familiar... :)" Doesn't it just! :D Yes, lovely cards, and interesting concepts :)

      Delete
  3. Great cards and thoughts. Uplifting and useful. We all have jealousy within ourself, but it takes bravery to acknowledge it. I like the advice given to aid that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked that, too. That it takes us beyond seeing our own failings, to suggesting what we might do that would have a positive impact on ourself and others :)

      Delete
  4. "This, and also this..." What a fantastic idea for a spread, especially in working with cards like these! It brings me so much joy to see the deck being used, especially when I see the wonderful, personal insights you pull from the images and slogans. Hugs to you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Bev. I think I saw something like that spread on an online reading site... It worked really nicely!
      Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Hi Chloe! Beautiful cards and interesting reading! Inspiring! Muchas Estrellas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LM, nice to see you again! Glad you enjoyed the reading, y muchísimas estrellas para vos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Chloe! I always enjoy your readings :) have a beautiful weekend! Un beso.

    ReplyDelete