Monday, 1 December 2014

Spirit Tarot Reading

Last week, I posted a link to Lynda Cowles' Tarot Chest site, which encouraged me to go there myself.  Dangerous stuff, I happened upon a couple of AGMüller decks I hadn't seen before...  The Spirit Tarot (AGMüller, 2007) is an interesting mix, with painted Majors, and then Minors which mix photographic and painted elements.  This difference between the Majors and Minors is not something I normally like, but it actually works rather well here.  These cards have a gorgeous naturalness, coupled with a playful edge of whimsy.

Situation - The High Priestess

A woman holds a hand to her belly, as though listening to something within.  Yet, she does not look pregnant.  Rather, her gaze is turned inward, though her head faces left towards a crescent moon and a tree in the background.  She is naked, with just her hair streaming down over one side of her torso, the other breast bared to us.

I see myself clearly here, half willing to reveal myself, half hidden.  And pregnant with something, listening to an inner voice. 

Don't - Ten of Swords

A fairy lifts her arms skyward, seeming to emerge from the depths of the sea.  Above her flies a bird, silhouetted by the sun just rising above a layer of cloud.  There is clarity here, if we reach for it, a new day.

For me, though, the message: don't rise up out of the immersion I have been in, don't reach for clarity and the exposure of the sun.  That time will come, but not yet.

Do - Three of Wands

Sunlight spills through branches and leaves to brighten a forest path.  A wispy fae holds a staff, ready to walk that path.  Where that trail leads is as yet unknown, yet it beckons.

A time to assess the way forward, and though it may not be entirely clear, to choose to follow in the direction I have begun.  Momentum, that is what I see here.

There is something stirring, fostered by inner work I have been doing.  Already, I have made steps towards bringing this into the light.  Yet, for the time being the main focus remains on a silent, inward journey.  I shall keep planning my path out of the dark stillness of the woods, without yet taking that next step.

If you'd like to read some journal prompts inspired by this reading, click here.

10 comments:

  1. I saw this deck a year or so ago. You know how I am with different styles in the Majors and Minors. As much as I like Majors, it kind of put me off. Interesting to see the deck here though.

    I like the idea of having something growing but allowing time before unleashing it on the world. There is something beautiful in that.

    Great prompts too. I write things like this in my paper journal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought about you with these different styles of Major and Minor. It's something that has stopped me buying a few decks - like the Lo Scarabeo Celtic Tarot. Here, though, it doesn't bother me as much.

      Glad you like the prompts, too. Now that I'm making the TABI blog posts very different from these ones, it makes sense to share both. These are the prompts that form the basis of my own reading :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I love this idea of the High Priestess - we don't talk enough about how using your intuition can be such a physical experience. For me, whenever I get a message or a sense of something intuitively, I feel it in my gut (to the level that I have thrown up when something seems really off). Thank you for sharing this!

    Also I tend to agree with you re the different major/minor styles... feels messy, incoherent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I'm so swordsy that I have trouble connecting to the physical experience of intuition. It's like, I know it's there, but it can be so subtle. So, like you, if I feel physically sick then I notice. But with weaker signals, it can be hard for me to pick them up. Still, I do think it's important - intuition is largely subconscious, so it makes sense that it is expressed in these less rational signs.

      Delete
  3. This is just the time of year to turn your focus within and keep the veil up a little longer As soon as you go out in the sun will be so much more difficult to see the tiny intuitive sparkles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely way of putting it, Ellen. Yes, I think the veil can stay up until at least the New Year :) After that, well, I'm far too impatient to keep these things under wraps forever!

      Delete
  4. I really like the High Priestess card too; it does seem like she's listening within, and her nakedness seems to imply she's not being by outside influences.
    The Ten of Wands image looks like she's walking on water, so the "don't" for me would be: You might be doing well and making progress, but you're not walking on water yet! Heehee. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! Yes, a good message - don't run before you can walk! Though, seeing my little baby, it seems a common human desire :D

      Delete
  5. This is a stunning High Priestess. I'm not sure how I feel about the Minors. I think I'd have to actually read with the deck to see how I like them! But I am enjoying watching you work with them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first got them, I was worried the minors would be a problem. Actually, though, they quickly grew on me :)

      Delete