Monday, 9 February 2015

Japaridze Tarot Reading

Having pre-ordered the Japaridze Tarot (US Games, 2014), when it arrived shortly before Christmas I was too busy and too ill to do it justice.  Having seen it on quite a few other blogs, now, I decided I was ready.

Situation: Five of Winds (Swords)

The rider in the foreground is riding away, not only from the city in the distance, but also from the two other horsemen.  The traditional idea of humiliation or defeat can certainly be read here, though other intuitive readings of the image are definitely possible.  After all, he could also be a scout, ranging ahead of his friends, or someone in need of a bit of quiet time.  Or he could be leaving a situation behind, Eight of Cups style. 

And perhaps a blend of those might be useful to consider, this week.  After all, defeat is a state of mind rather than an absolute.  When feeling that kind of let down, some of those other readings may offer helpful suggestions.  Can I find a different perspective or something else to focus on?  Would finding some quiet time help me deal with my feelings?  Do I just need to let this situation go?

Don't: Two of Winds (Swords)

The first phrase that comes to mind here is 'neither fish nor fowl'!  This creature has strange horns that look almost more like wings.  At the centre of those, a face divided in two.  Beneath this monochrome element, a body equally divided: half blue and yellow snake; half jointed robot figure. 

How can such a mish-mash creature ever hope to wield its two tools in a united way?  The message I get is to stay clear and focused in one direction, rather than trying to please everyone, to be 'all things to all people'.  That rarely, if ever, works!

Do: Three of Gardens (Pentacles)

An artist at work doesn't immediately scream teamwork to me.  Yet, without the woman to paint, without someone to commission or buy his work, perhaps without another who makes the paints he uses, he would not survive. 

A reminder, then, that even in the midst of creative inspiration, when seemingly alone, I should remember my interconnectedness.  In the light of the situation card, this acts as a prompt to find some time to feel creative, and also to value the other people who make that possible.  Just as defeat is a state of mind, so too is feeling alone in it.  Giving thanks for the ways in which I am supported sounds like a very good antidote to both :)

To read journal prompts based on these cards, please click on over to TABI.

8 comments:

  1. Doing something creative is wonderful way to focus and dissolve the Two of Winds state of mind. Sometimes it feels like the teamwork is an internal one: Do "the mother", "the wife", etc make room for you to play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now that's an excellent question, Ellen! Thank you, my friend :)

      Delete
  2. This is one of those decks I tried hard not to like (not needing another addition to the collection, lol). But the cards almost make me want to investigate, to poke at it until the story comes out. I love that Five of Winds/Swords card. I do believe that sometimes fleeing is the right thing to do instead of fighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely deck, though I think it needs a bit more energy and dedication than I have right now :( And yes, live to fight another day... :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! These cards are odd and quite colorful. I honestly don't know what to make of them. Interesting mix of energies for you this week. My vague/super quick reading of it is to let go of annoying or defeatist thinking (5 of Swords) in order to make a choice/find a solution (2 of Swords) that leads to creative fulfillment and productivity (3 of Pentacles). I guess that's pretty similar to what you said. I've come to see the 5 of Swords as a way of letting the mess of the mind fall away in order for something good to emerge.

    Lots o' Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that "letting the mess of the mind fall away" bit, MM :D
      Lotsa hugs,
      Cxxx

      Delete
  4. The colours and swirling paint remind me somewhat of the Tarot of the Spirit by Pamela Eakins.

    I look at this periodically but perhaps because it is reminiscent of the Tarot of the Spirit in artwork, I have decided not to get it. I really enjoyed seeing it here, I think it's an interesting deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I don't see the similarity at all! The Tarot of the Spirit seems like a colourful Thoth to me, but I'll admit I don't know it :) So long as you're happy with your decks, JJ, that's always a good start ;b

      Delete