Monday, 2 February 2015

Oracular Anomalies Spread

Previous blog/ Master list/ Next blog

Welcome to another Tarot Blog Hop, where bloggers from all around the globe post different views of the same subject at the same time.  You can navigate your way around with the links at the top and bottom of this post.

This time around, our subject is oracular anomalies: those cards or decks that surprise us, and what we have learnt from them.  The most anomalous of tarots I have is definitely the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn (Lo Scarabeo, 2011), and so I thought I'd create a spread based on that deck and its anomalies.

Firstly, the elemental associations for the suits of Wands and Pentacles are swapped, as are the cards' content.  For instance, the Three of Wands is titled Work.  Secondly, each traditional suit has an additional card, the 99, where the suit's energy is taken to a ridiculous extreme. Thirdly, there is an extra suit, titled Void, with black cards where an image can only be seen in the light reflecting off varnish.  Fourthly, there are nine extra Majors, mostly variations such as five Fools, as well as a couple of other extra spiral cards.

So, here's the spread I designed based on those anomalies.  I'd lay it out in a spiral, if I could, to represent the spiralling nature of life, and the cardback of this deck.

1a) Where in my life are my assumptions challenged?
1b) What can I learn from this challenge?
2a) Where in my life are things being taken to an extreme?
2b) What can I learn from this extreme?
3a)What in my life is hidden or disguised?
3b) What can I learn from this?
4a) Where in my life do I have extra options?
4b) What can I learn from these options?

I decided to draw cards from the deck that inspired this spread, but it could equally be used with a non-anomalous oracle.  Try saying that five times fast! :D

99 of Wands and White Spiral
1a+b)  Challenged assumptions and lesson: 99 of Wands + White Spiral

Straight off, some of the extra cards in this deck come out to play, with a card from that anomalous, earthy suit of Wands.  The 99 of Wands is the extreme of earthiness, to the point where we have multiple earths as the planets themselves spawn. 

What I see here is my assumptions around having children, how each child really is a world unto themselves.  Of course, I expected differences between my children, one severely disabled, the other "normal".  However, I'm finding the reality still challenges me.  My normal baby is both so incredibly much easier, and yet in other ways very hard.  I didn't realise how much both of those would be true!

I expected him to be easier, but sometimes it's the really small things that catch me unawares - how easy it is to dress him, as his limbs aren't stiff.  And while I know every child has their own challenges, I often feel like a first-time mother, struggling with things like getting him to eat...

What I can learn from this is the White Spiral.  This card doesn't even have a description in the otherwise very fulsome book included in this Lo Scarabeo kit.  And you can't see the spiral on the scan, but it is there :)  One of the last readings I did with this deck a couple of years ago was about my disabled son, and I received the Black Spiral as a reminder that things would never be simple and clear with him (still very true, after an emergency hospital visit not two weeks back).  The White Spiral here feels like the reverse of a black hole, and speaks of the joyful expansion of our family, and of my heart, through having both these children.  While neither is easy, they are both so full of potential, and they both melt my heart with their smiles.  It may not be easy, but this card reminds me the difficulties are worth it!

9 of Swords and 5 of Cups
2a+b) Extremes and lesson: 9 of Swords and 5 of Cups

Ha  ha ha, okay, as the mother of a ten-month old baby who is teething and still breastfeeding, there is definitely extreme sleeplessness in my life!  And I'm probably stabbed in the back, in that regard, by my own ideas about good parenting.

As for the lesson to learn, one day I will be sad when these times, sleepless as they are, are over and my mother's milk has run dry.  Enjoy it while it lasts, exhaustion and all!

Chevalier of Wands and 99 of Swords
3a+b) What's hidden and lesson: Chevalier (Knight) of Wands and 99 of Swords

Funny that this guy is actually wearing camouflage, blending into his surroundings.  And while he seems tuned into his environment, I wonder how much he understands of himself?  What is disguised from me is how much I am this character.  

The Knight of Earth is generally a steadfast type, with plenty of stick-to-it-ness.  Not dashing or exciting, more plodding and reliable.  And really, a huge part of my life is like that.  There's my part-time day job, with lots of filing, accounting, legal documents, and a sense of making little difference to the outcome of anything.  Then there's my home life: making meals for the family, doing laundry by the ton, changing nappies (diapers for my American friends), wiping runny noses, preparing medicines (both boys were sick last week).  My elder son, in particular, with his complex health issues and severe disabilities, requires constant care.  

And so the lesson becomes clear: I hide from myself just how much this Knight's strengths are called for in my life, because otherwise I would feel totally overwhelmed.  Like the little girl facing that barrage of missiles, it's easier to focus on my red balloon, those things I do which feel exciting and fun.  The Tarot and Lenormand parts of my life, and the times when I play with my boys and see their smiles.

5 of Pentacles and Page of Cups
4a+b) Extra options and lesson: 5 of Pentacles (Wands) and Page of Cups

This Five of Pentacles image is confusing at first: it looks like a traditional Five of Pents with people outside the succour of a church, because of the shape of the doorway.  Looking closer, though, it's more Five of Wands-ish, with the woman in the foreground trying to escape the argument going on behind her.  So, when other people are fighting, I have the option to join in, to escape, or perhaps to find another solution.  Maybe I can try to think outside the box!

The lesson from the Page of Cups is that listening to my emotions will help me decide which way to go. And her openness to seeing the world as a glass half full will help me stay hopeful.  After all, it's only from a place of hope that we can see possibilities opening up. 

This reading reminded me just how much I like this anomalous deck.  Its quirks make me stop and think, and I also enjoyed the spread it inspired.  Anomalies offer us a whole new vista, challenging us to see things we don't always look at.  Thank you, Karen, for this excellent topic!

Previous blog/ Master list/ Next blog

18 comments:

  1. I love how so many of the anomalous cards popped up in your reading, very fitting! The art almost reminds me of the Ellis deck. This is a great spread! Strength to you, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fitting, wasn't it! None of the anomalous Majors, but still :) And yes, when I saw the Ellis deck, and when I used it a couple of weeks ago, I noted the similarity! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks for sharing this anomalous deck and your awesome spread with us. I really enjoyed this post and your interpretations of the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've long enjoyed this deck, so it was a fun one to do. Glad you enjoyed it, Deirdre :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Chloe! I love what you've done with this and your choice of deck but mostly thank you for sharing your life experience. I always feel deeply moved when you write about your children, there is so much love that comes through. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I worry sometimes about sharing too much, but I also feel it's important not to hide disability and the struggles around it under the carpet. And as you say, I know that I love them both dearly :)

      Delete
  4. 99? :o I assume there aren't also 11-98 in the deck or that would be one mighty deck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, straight from 10 to 99 - extremes only :D

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful and personal reading this is. I can relate to the difficult aspect of mothering when nothing was like I thought it would be but has been and still is the most fulfilling "Job" I've ever had :)
    I am sure your boys will give you a lot of Joy and Love, each in his own special way
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. Yes, that's a good reminder for me, that even without disabilities, our children always challenge us. And that each is totally lovable, too.
      Hugs to you!

      Delete
  6. So personal and full of life. You opened my eyes about some of the cards. Thank you. What a great spread, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giuliana. Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful spread and reading. And what an interesting deck, not come across it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a very fun deck, but not for the faint-of-heart or very traditionally minded ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to attempt this particular deck, but you have pulled it off quite brilliantly. Great spread. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bridgett. As I say, being a double Gemini, I do love variety and this deck is definitely full of choices and strangeness :D

      Delete
  9. Such an interesting deck! Reminds me to get out of the box when reading--allow for the unexpected to pop up! XOXOX, MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing to do, on occasion. I think you do something similar by turning to oracles - outside the tarot structure... :)

      Delete