Friday, 27 February 2015

Tarot Polski Overview

As I said on Monday, the Tarot Polski is sadly OOP.  Another downside to it is the non-illustrated pips, which many people struggle with.  I don't mind them, but definitely prefer something more visually stimulating.  I adore the semi-illustrated pips of decks like the Incidental Tarot and the Vision Quest Tarot.  No humans to push our emotional buttons or rub is the wrong way, yet plenty of symbolism and colour to make room for intuition and understanding.

Still, this deck has a lot of colour and charm in its favour.  Take the Tower, for instance.  The perspective is amazing, with a really powerful feel to the lightning and the fall.  And while we can't see the top of the Tower, we see clearly the King plunging downward, crown still on his head.  He's a florid man, big and brassy, which seems only to make his fall harder.  As the saying goes, 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall' and that's true of our fixed ideas, too.

A far calmer scene greets us in the King of Pentacles.  He sits calmly on his throne, his red robes spilling around him.  In one hand he holds an orb, representing his authority over the world, in the other a large golden coin decorated with a sphinx in the centre and astrological symbols around the edges.  Behind him are mountains: do they suggest spiritual heights, or just emphasise that his dominion stretches to the farthest reaches?  Certainly, you don't get much more solid and earthy than a mountain...  As with all the Minors, the top of the card has a yellow sky, and holds astrological symbols.

That same pattern is repeated on the Ace of Pentacles: golden sky and astrological symbols.  Below it we see the background found on all the Pentacle pips - dry and cracked earth - with the same golden coin with Sphinx and star sign symbols. 

We find the same basic structure on the Four of Cups, too.  The only variation is a blue, watery background beneath the yellow sky/astrology.  The Cups are laid out as though at the four cardinal points.  Not much to suggest ennui or the possibility of something new should we choose to open our eyes to it...

This deck has fun, colourful Majors and Courts, and added astrological information for those that can use it in their interpretations.  A workable deck, but not one I'll use much, because of the non-illustrated pips.

5 comments:

  1. I am with you on the matter of the non illustrated pips. When I read with them I only can work with my memorized keywords which feels a bit limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing the reading for next week, with another non-illustrated pip deck, I realised that actually, I like using them on occasion. I can use keywords, or numerological and elemental ideas. Or else I can let my intuition play, and one of the illustrated versions of the card might pop into my head - which one pops up will influence my interpretation :)

      Delete
  2. I do love that 3D-type perspective on the Tower card. I prefer illustrated pips, but can read with the Marseille/Italian decks. But those that just repeat a pattern with no vines, flowers, etc. are just boring for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these ones do have their background, but no vines... Really not my favourite, but the illustrated cards are fab :D

      Delete
  3. If you are in the hand of Small Arcana cards appear in the superiority of some color, it means that the questioner has impaired internal balance. twojeprzeznaczenie.com.pl/tarot.html

    ReplyDelete