Monday, 16 February 2015

Universal Tarot Reading

Having been reminded of this deck recently, I was surprised to see I'd never blogged with it.  The Universal Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2002) is Lo Scarabeo's answer to the Rider Waite deck: a clone, but set in a different era, and with some nice, subtle variations.  Definitely a plug'n'play deck!

Situation: XX - Judgement

People rise from their coffins to head the trumpeting call of an angel.  This card asks me what calls to my soul right now?  It's something I've been asking of myself for a couple of weeks, and perhaps now I will find the answer...

Don't: King of Wands

Interesting, this is the second time in recent weeks I've had the King of Wands as what to avoid.  Coupled with the last card, I see a need for reflection rather than action.

Do: Seven of Wands

Viv of Kismet's Companion wrote an interesting exploration of this card for the last Tarot Blog Hop.  For myself, I often see the Seven's as being about internal conflict, with the Fives being more external conflict.  That, combined with the fact that we see wands but no-one wielding them leads me to see this card as feeling caught off guard, on the wrong foot, or feeling under attack when the judgements may be more our own than from others.  Like the way I sometimes expect someone to criticise what I'm doing and construct complicated counter arguments in my head, when the other person hasn't actually said a word.  I mean, look at all the armour that guy is wearing!

As the card for what to do this week, I think it counsels me to assess how much my reactions are triggered by my own judgements and assumptions.  If I am to truly follow my soul's calling, I need to focus on my desires, not on my fears and responses to perceived attacks.

To see journal prompts based on these cards, click on over to the TABI blog.

8 comments:

  1. When those brain synapses are firing slow, sometimes its nice for me to use a plug and play deck. :D I often forget about the internal conflict in the Seven of Wands, but as you pointed out, there is no enemy actually there and he does seem a bit overdressed for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to admit, after last week and the Japaridze, this week I fancied plug'n'play :D

      Delete
  2. I never thought of the Seven of Wands as an internal conflict but this makes so much sense. Just as I often interpret the Five of Wands as a monkey mind, these six opposing wands can be our inner critics and/or our overstrict inner parental tapes.
    I will jot this down in my Tarot journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I hadn't thought of the Five of Wands as monkey mind, so today we both get something to jot in our journal :)

      Delete
  3. I just got notice from Amazon my Celtic Lenormand should be here the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Lovely news, Sharyn :) I know people who ordered direct from US Games have already received their decks, good to know Amazon isn't far behind! Hope you'll love it *crosses fingers*

      Delete
  4. I like the Universal, I have the mini version. It's a great deck, love the linework.

    I have to wait a bit for the Celtic Lenormand but it's on the wish list. The Canadian dollar fell so much that the exchange rate is pretty high. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the mini, too :) Kinda funny, as I also have the mini of the original RWS :D

      Yeesh, exchange rates and all these complications are such a pain! At least here in Europe we have a nice selection of decks to choose from without changing currency...

      Delete