Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Wings of Change Lenormand Card Backs

Final card back
Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote!  It was excellent to get your feedback, and you overwhelmingly voted for the sepia butterfly eye back, shown here.

This was the back which, after I'd messed around with about 30 different variations and ideas (single butterflies, multiple butterflies, faery on a sky background, fire faery, and many more), my wonderful, artist friend Liz Arena, illustrator of the deck, created. 

Now, creating a back for the cards wasn't in our contract, but after I sent her through a couple of my variants to look at, she took pity on me.  She looked at other card backs from decks in her local esoteric store, and ones she could see on-line, and then thought about this deck we've been creating.  Here is her inspiration, in her own words:

Some of the other options
"Thinking about the concept, and looking through a lot of oracle and tarot card art, I thought the butterfly "eye" could take the center of what might usually be the psychic human eye.  I implied a compass to indicate the many directions of the future and added decorative corner elements that echo the shape of a butterfly's wings.  I added some texture and an aged feeling as well."

I think Liz did a beautiful job, and that this back will compliment the vibrant images on the card fronts.  Still waiting for the prototype deck to come through for proofing before sending off the final designs...

And if you want a look at what didn't make the grade, here are just a few of the card backs I created :D

10 comments:

  1. I *love* the final design way more than the others!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wanted something I had designed to be part of the deck, but I shall have to be satisfied knowing the whole concept and each card has my fingerprints on it. As you say, the image created by Liz outshines my own tinkerings!

      Delete
  2. This back looks great, and I'm so glad Liz took the time to consider a redo. Backs are important, and this has such a well thought out look to it (love the butterfly spot!). Since the artwork is going to be on all the cards, it should do the rest of the deck justice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz has been fabulous throughout. I'll post some "making of" articles, showing times when I asked her for changes, and what a great job she did! :D And yes, the backs do need to do the artwork justice, so I'm doubly grateful that Liz volunteered this lovely image.

      Delete
  3. This one was my favourite!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even remember seeing this one (but I have the attention span of a gnat). I like it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was only in the second survey, Carla :)

      Delete