Monday, 2 March 2015

Locus Tarot Reading

This week's deck is not yet available - it'll go live as a Kickstarter project this Thursday.  However, when the creator approached me, I thought it was a pretty interesting idea: a minimalist tarot.  So, today I'm giving it a test run, and on Friday there'll be an interview with Mike, it's creator...

Now: Two of Swords

The pip cards are simple patterns of circles, enveloped by a larger line of the same colour.  The colour scheme throughout is red for Stones (Pentacles), blue for Cups, yellow for Rods (Wands) and green for Swords.  Unusual colour choices, I'll be interested to hear what inspired them...

Seems like a bit of a stalemate - two ideas, but no clear choice between them at the moment.  Quite a tension, as the two try to split, yet are also held together.  Or, I could see this like a cell dividing: new ideas are opening up opportunities, but these are not yet ready to go!

Don't: Queen of Rods (Wands)

The Queens are all this tripartite white shape, with little black circles in their dips, on a background of their suit colour.  I like the three-ness for the Queen, echoing ideas of the Goddess.  As what not to do, the Queen of Rods says not to get mixed up in other people's projects, perhaps thinking I know what's best.  

Do: Three of Swords

Once again, three green circles, enveloped by a green wavy line.  Nothing obvious here to suggest heartache or the ideas that jab around at our emotions.  I'm reminded of Rachel Pollack's take on the Three of Swords in the Shining Tribe Tarot, and the idea that sometimes it is necessary to sit with uncomfortable thoughts, to hold on through the pain, so as to make it out the other side.  Mixing with the other two cards, one talking of tension and the other of not butting in, it sounds like I should hold off on trying to release the tension of differing ideas, even if it seems painful not to do something.  This one is always tough for me.  I have a strong Queen of Wands streak, but I shall try to rein her in!

I also decided to draw an extra Major, to show what they are like.

Overarching Message: The Sun

I'm really curious to hear how Mike decided on the colour scheme and layouts for the Majors, too.  They all have a black background, and a combination of black and coloured circles, with at least one large, coloured circle...

What I see here is a big green circle, with a little mustard circle off to one side.  A base of Air/Swords, with a little Fire/Rods thrown in?  The mind giving birth to a new spark of passion?

Seems like sitting with uncertainty may not be easy, but it is the way forward to a sense of renewal and joy!

19 comments:

  1. Since I don't feel comfortable with unillustrated pip cards at all this is even more total abacadabra for me :)
    The color scheme threw me of entirely, so like you I very interested in the interview.
    I know how hard it is not to run for the rescue as this queen but when give it a rest issues will often straighten out themselves out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I like the freedom of unillustrated pips. I can see whichever variant of the card is most relevant to my intuitive reading, as was the case here with Rachel Pollack's version of the card :)

      As for not running to the rescue, I've done okay on that so far. Yesterday, I tried to make something work for everyone, but when it wouldn't, I accepted having things done for me rather than for my Dear One :D

      Delete
    2. Ellen, I feel where you're coming from. It was actually only in stumbling on tarot books that advocated reading the pips numerologically that I started to veer towards seeing the cards more as an intersection of two forces—number and suit—rather than as life experiences in themselves.

      That said, things didn't really click for me until I read about Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey. He shows how every story since the dawn of humanity shares a common structure, even if in some stories, some elements are stressed more than others.

      In a nutshell: (1) Every story begins with a call to action, and the potential for a certain improvement. (2) The hero is conflicted over how to proceed. (3) The hero makes his first foray into the situation, perhaps with aid. (4) Having crossed the threshold, the hero must seek a trail through the unknown. (5) The unexpected happens, and the hero must deal with it. (6) Having made small gains, the hero must find the motivation to continue. (7) Even when he looses his support. (8) How does the hero draw upon his resources and his learning? (9) In the final conflict, how much is the hero willing to sacrifice to achieve his goals? (10) The hero must find a way to integrate his boon into his life.

      That's a very rough outline, but maybe I've conveyed at least part of this method's usefulness? Number + element = potential meanings

      Even if you don't love the Locus, this method is a great way to strengthen your readings.

      Delete
  2. I'll be curious to hear what the creator has to say, as I am completely baffled by these cards. I find myself relying only on the name of the card itself without understanding the system behind. But, sometimes I have an "aha" moment when I finally understand the thinking and logic behind the cards. Looking forward to the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the soon-to-be-live Kickstarter page, he says he's influenced by notions of the elements, numerology, and binaries such as inner/outer, micro/macro. As you say, I look forward to hearing more...

      Delete
    2. With the interview up, and a few others you can find from the kickstarter page, please let me know if I can answer any questions!

      http://innerwhisperscouk.blogspot.com/2015/03/interview-with-mike-stop-continues.html
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mike-stop-continues/locus-tarot

      Delete
  3. Cool! Very cool... I'll be back on Friday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't do anything for me as a tarot deck but I love it as a playing card deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then what would you do with the Majors?... :)

      Delete
    2. The Majors would like a trip to Italy maybe, where they could photograph themselves in cafés and in front of monuments.

      Then their owner would do a quick sketch of them in situ while subduing her two boys and eating gelato. You have five hands, right?

      Five Hands and a Sketchbook--the new group featuring the Majors of Mike.

      I would actually do this myself, but funds are not available for Italy. Maybe these Majors would like to disport on the lawn and among forests in Deadsville, Ontario while their owner plays Crazy Eights with the Minors and Courts?

      All kinds of things you could do with these besides Tarot. The design is neat for other purposes. The little yellow circle on The Sun could be a dish of lemon gelato....from whence a story might come with some sketches of Florentine cafés.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha ha, you're a blast, JJ! Sounds like you don't even need to go to Italy to get into the gelato moment :D

      Delete
    4. No, I'm my own little party.

      I was thinking last night that the colours on this Sun card are the colours of the Jamaican flag. You could use that too and tie locations of Jamaica into The Sun. Or maybe explore minimalist architecture around the globe.

      The Queen of Rods could examine Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. I understand the rods and "good" nuclear energy of healing cancer for instance, but all I see are empty wrecks of apartment buildings in Chernobyl and radioactive waste.

      Obviously I need visuals for things so these cards only work for me as a jumping-off point. Still, it's a clean design for having things occur to you, opening the mind.

      Delete
    5. Yes, I think the "jumping off point" is the main concept, though I believe the planned structure from which to jump is intended as somewhat more esoteric :D Hey, whatever gets you there, I say!

      Delete
    6. Woley, now that the campaign's up, get out the full set of Majors. I think you might find their elemental leanings somewhat more intuitive as a group than first seeing the cards in isolation. I go into great detail in the interview with Chloë, and, of course, the booklet ;)

      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mike-stop-continues/locus-tarot

      Delete
    7. Yes, I think they do have qualities that shine when taken out of isolation. Solitary confinement can shut anyone down.

      I did actually go through a phase where I read with playing cards or plainer Tarock decks, so know it can be done, and your deck is beautifully designed. It's just that I like artwork, I get a real zing from the drawings and paintings of others.

      Still, I bet you will reach your Kickstarter goal and get these printed--really exciting to see that you are realizing a dream and your efforts are building momentum.

      Delete
    8. Thanks for your support, Woley. I understand your feelings, and I do think the campaign is gonna do great. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm liking these more and more. Love Mike's summary of the Hero's Journey. Very interesting. I've never been drawn to us illustrated pips but this may be the deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Well, it is soooo hard to tempt you with tarot decks, Mary ;)

      Delete